Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center is in Austin, Texas. This city is one of the most populated cities in the country with has a population of 940,359 people. With an overall score of D, this is a lower end facility. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Austin. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. The only positive thing we can say about this facility is that it didn't receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Austin senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this nursing home a good overall score, we actually gave it a strong grade in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of B+. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is generally best to avoid facilities that had too many severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. In spite of this deficiency, this nursing home still received a relatively favorable report.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this facility's higher category scores was in the category of short-term care. This wound up being its second most respectable category. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of C. Our short-term care ratings are meaningful for residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients who returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's third highest score is long-term care. As it turns out, with a D in this area, it still performed somewhat poorly. For residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
The final category we assessed was nursing, which is a low point for this facility. We gave this nursing home a grade of D for the area of nursing. There are many factors within this area. Many of the factors reflect levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who have pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 4.84% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 93.69% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that mobility is important for patients well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 9 other nursing homes
- Seton Southwest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away7900 Fm 1826 Austin Texas 78737Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-9000
- St David's South Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away901 West Ben White Blvd Austin Texas 78704Proprietary(512) 448-7107
- Arise Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away3003 Bee Caves Road Austin Texas 78746Voluntary non-profit - Other(512) 347-9888
- Seton Medical Center HaysAcute Care Hospitals 9.76 miles away6001 Kyle Pkwy Kyle Texas 78640Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-5000
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- Dell Seton Med Center at the University of TxAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away601 E 15th Street Austin Texas 78701Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-7000
- St David's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.9 miles away919 E 32nd St Austin Texas 78705Proprietary(512) 476-7111
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- Satellite Healthcare of South Austin3.15 miles away10001 South Ih 35 Bldg 1 Ste 100 Austin Texas 78747CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (512) 282-8500
- South Austin Dialysis LLC5.34 miles away6114 South 1st Street Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 447-8500
- Satellite Dialysis Southwood6.29 miles away1701 W. Ben White Blvd, Suite #180 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (512) 383-0300
- Fresenius Medical Care Austin South6.59 miles away621 Radam Ln Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 707-7601
- El Milagro Dialysis Center7.9 miles away2800 S Ih 35 Suite 120 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 448-9750
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.9.57 miles away5895 Kyle Parkway Kyle Texas 78640Dialysis Stations: 17 (512) 268-2428
- Hill Country Dialysis9.86 miles away1250 Dacy Lane Kyle Texas 78640Dialysis Stations: 14 (512) 268-2523
- Satellite Healthcare Kyle11.22 miles away134 Elmhurst Drive Kyle Texas 78640Dialysis Stations: 22 (512) 268-3100