Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center is in Austin, Texas. This city is one of the most populated cities in the country with has a population of 940,359 people. With an overall score of D, this is a lower end facility. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2101 Frate Barker Rd,
Austin TX 78748
66% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This score is significantly more impressive than the nursing home's overall score. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is typically best to avoid nursing homes that had a long list of deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even with this deficiency, this place still had a relatively favorable report.
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D for our short-term care rating and that actually ended up being its next most favorable category. In the area of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Considering its grade in this category, we weren't stunned to find that this nursing home is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Does this page answer your questions about Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's third best category is long-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this area, it still performed somewhat badly. For patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 96.65272 percent of its patients, which is a very solid total. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Turning to the last area, this facility really did not fare very well here either. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in nursing, this is just about as bad as it gets. We scrutinized the licensure of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours the nurses spent with patients, in calculating our rating in this category. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric may be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 4.81% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 94.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brodie Ranch Nursing & Rehab Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 25 other nursing homes
- Seton Southwest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away7900 Fm 1826 Austin Texas 78737Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-9000
- St David's South Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away901 West Ben White Blvd Austin Texas 78704Proprietary(512) 448-7107
- Arise Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away3003 Bee Caves Road Austin Texas 78746Voluntary non-profit - Other(512) 347-9888
- Seton Medical Center HaysAcute Care Hospitals 9.76 miles away6001 Kyle Pkwy Kyle Texas 78640Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-5000
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- Dell Seton Med Center at the University of TxAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away601 E 15th Street Austin Texas 78701Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-7000
- St David's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.9 miles away919 E 32nd St Austin Texas 78705Proprietary(512) 476-7111
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- Satellite Healthcare of South Austin3.15 miles away10001 South Ih 35 Bldg 1 Ste 100 Austin Texas 78747CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (512) 282-8500
- South Austin Dialysis LLC5.34 miles away6114 South 1st Street Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 447-8500
- Satellite Dialysis Southwood6.29 miles away1701 W. Ben White Blvd, Suite #180 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (512) 383-0300
- Fresenius Medical Care Austin South6.59 miles away621 Radam Ln Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 707-7601
- El Milagro Dialysis Center7.9 miles away2800 S Ih 35 Suite 120 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 448-9750
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.9.57 miles away5895 Kyle Parkway Kyle Texas 78640Dialysis Stations: 17 (512) 268-2428
- Hill Country Dialysis9.86 miles away1250 Dacy Lane Kyle Texas 78640Dialysis Stations: 14 (512) 268-2523
- Satellite Healthcare Kyle11.22 miles away134 Elmhurst Drive Kyle Texas 78640Dialysis Stations: 22 (512) 268-3100