Located in Newark, New Jersey, Broadway House for Continuing is one of five available nursing homes in this city. This proved to be an A+ rated facility, which is our very best score. This is just about as good of a place as you're going to find. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's remarkable profile is its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Broadway House for Continuing
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. We weren't able to locate deficiency data for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This nursing home also received an A+ for its nursing grade. Our nursing rating is primarily associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a patient at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Broadway House for Continuing?
Long-term Care Quality
Compounding its fine profile, this facility also received an excellent long-term care grade, with a score of A. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 99.58159 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last area, this nursing home also was awarded a very strong short-term care grade, with an A-. This finished off a very impressive profile. Short-term care grades are based on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Broadway House for Continuing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Broadway House for Continuing, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which suffered from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Broadway House for Continuing, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Broadway House for Continuing, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic may also be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Broadway House for Continuing, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Broadway House for Continuing, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Broadway House for Continuing, 5.81% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Broadway House for Continuing, 92% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Broadway House for Continuing, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Broadway House for Continuing, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Broadway House for Continuing, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Newark, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Newark, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.85 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.37 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Fmc North Newark0.84 miles away155 Berkeley Avenue Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 412-0066
- Fmc Harrison Dc1.52 miles away620 Essex Street Harrison New Jersey 07029CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 482-7772
- Davita Renal Center of Newark1.7 miles away571 Central Ave Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 484-4994
- Fkc Belleville1.71 miles away36 Newark Avenue Suite 304 Belleville New Jersey 07109Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 450-0385
- Ara Dialysis at East Orange1.71 miles away20 Sussex Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 266-1093
- Fmc East Orange Dc1.93 miles away110 South Grove Street East Orange New Jersey 07018CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 414-6100
- Fmc Newark Univ Dc (Miele)2.17 miles away91-101 Hartford Street Newark New Jersey 07103Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 624-7100
- Davita East Orange Dialysis2.54 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025