Located in Long Beach, California, Broadway by the Sea is just one of 26 options located in the city. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber typically suggests some red flags. This nursing home has very little going for it. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Broadway by the Sea
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade is not a highlight, it actually received a somewhat respectable grade in the area of inspections. We awarded it a B- for this category, which is not bad. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a solid score in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of C. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to judge a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The last statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 4.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Broadway by the Sea?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. In calculating a facility's nursing score, we assess the number of hours nurses are seeing residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This place provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a low total compared with most other nursing homes. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's worst area was long-term care, which is the last category we looked at. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Broadway by the Sea Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Broadway by the Sea, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Broadway by the Sea, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients who experienced a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Broadway by the Sea, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Broadway by the Sea, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Broadway by the Sea, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Broadway by the Sea, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Broadway by the Sea, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Broadway by the Sea, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Broadway by the Sea, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Broadway by the Sea, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Broadway by the Sea, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Broadway by the Sea, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Broadway by the Sea, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.22 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.81 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis1.77 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center2 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- Fmc-Long Beach2.14 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.97 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis3.07 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center3.76 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis5.2 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- Davita-United Dialysis Center5.2 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155