Broadway by the Sea turns out to be one of a multitude of available nursing homes you can choose from in Long Beach, California. This is a decent nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Long Beach. Based on our ratings, there are definitely much worse places out there. The best part of this nursing home's report card is is its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Broadway by the Sea
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Long Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
It should also be noted that this facility's inspection score outpaced its overall grade. In fact, we gave it a B+ for its inspections rating, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area generally have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's better category grades was in the category of long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B. It actually performed better than most facilities in this area. Facilities that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.03846 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Broadway by the Sea?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we graded is short-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a B- in this area. In crafting our short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. We weren't able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this place. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Moving on to our next category, this facility was given an acceptable nursing score of B-. When calculating our nursing scores, we weigh both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day, which is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this area. This can be an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a patient even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Broadway by the Sea Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Broadway by the Sea, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients who have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Broadway by the Sea, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Broadway by the Sea, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Broadway by the Sea, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Broadway by the Sea, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Broadway by the Sea, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Broadway by the Sea, 95.65% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Broadway by the Sea, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Broadway by the Sea, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients well-being.
In Broadway by the Sea, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Broadway by the Sea, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Broadway by the Sea, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Broadway by the Sea, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 10 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.22 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.81 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis1.77 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center2 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- Fmc-Long Beach2.14 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.97 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis3.07 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center3.76 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis5.2 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- Davita-United Dialysis Center5.2 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155