Located in San Diego, California, Brighton Place San Diego is one of seven available facilities in this area. With an overall score of C, this appears to be a middle of the pack nursing home. Based on our assessment, there are certainly far worse places out there. This nursing home didn't fare well in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any rock-bottom grades either. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brighton Place San Diego
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on San Diego senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to having a decent overall score, we also wanted to point out that this nursing home received favorable nursing marks this year. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's top score. There are many factors included in this area. Most of the factors reflect nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving patients even once per day.
This nursing home also earned favorable health inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in that category, with a B. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brighton Place San Diego?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its next highest category grade in the area of long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a C in this category, which is an acceptable grade. Long-term care grades are important for prospective residents looking for personal care. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 98.92086 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was short-term care, which turned out to be a low point for this facility. We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D in the area of short-term care. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brighton Place San Diego Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brighton Place San Diego, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brighton Place San Diego, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who experienced falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brighton Place San Diego, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brighton Place San Diego, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brighton Place San Diego, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brighton Place San Diego, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brighton Place San Diego, 95.65% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brighton Place San Diego, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brighton Place San Diego, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility.
In Brighton Place San Diego, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brighton Place San Diego, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brighton Place San Diego, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brighton Place San Diego, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.25 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 3.43 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Davita-San Diego East0.8 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Raven1.4 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East1.76 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis1.87 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Davita-College Dialysis3 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise3.13 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College3.31 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-National City Dialysis Center4.25 miles away303 W. 26th Street National City California 91950CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 474-8151