Brighton Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Pasadena, California. With an overall score of B+, this facility should work for most prospective patients. You can definitely do much worse than this nursing home. Fortunately, this place didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Brighton Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Nursing scores are largely based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
In addition, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it earned a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed as well in this area. Our inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Brighton Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a favorable long-term care grade. Indeed, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this area. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we graded was short-term care. This nursing home was given a better than average short-term care rating this year, with a grade of B-. Even though this isn't as strong as some of its other category grades, this is nevertheless a decent rating for this area. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be more critical for those needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 3.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brighton Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brighton Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brighton Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brighton Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay patients who experienced UTI's. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brighton Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brighton Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brighton Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brighton Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brighton Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brighton Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brighton Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brighton Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brighton Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brighton Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Pasadena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Pasadena, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.84 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.91 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.77 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.73 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis2.65 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena3.1 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Davita-Eaton Canyon Dialysis3.1 miles away2551 E. Washington Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 798-8896
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center3.14 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500
- Huntington Dialysis Center3.14 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis4.3 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-North Glendale4.93 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center5.01 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331