Briarwood The is a senior living facility located in Stow, Ohio. This city has a total of 38,742 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. You could definitely do worse than this place. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
It should also be noted that this facility's short-term care score outperformed its overall grade. We awarded it a B+ for its short-term care grade, which is an above average grade. This really helped its overall grade. In crafting our short-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection scores are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's inspections. Places that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This facility received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarwood The?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing rating. We gave this facility an impressive grade of D. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed is long-term care, which ended up being this nursing home's weakest area. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F for this category, which is certainly concerning. For residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. One of the statistics we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 95.87629 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarwood The Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarwood The, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarwood The, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarwood The, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarwood The, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarwood The, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarwood The, 20% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarwood The, 90.19% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarwood The, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarwood The, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarwood The, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarwood The, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarwood The, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Stow, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Stow, Ohio has 4 other nursing homes
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.93 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.58 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- University Hospitals Portage Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.59 miles away6847 N Chestnut Ravenna Ohio 44266Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 297-2300
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.23 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.99 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Davita - Munroe Falls1.51 miles away265 North Main Street Munroe Falls Ohio 44262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 689-1400
- Ohio Renal Care Group LLC2.69 miles away320 Broadway St E Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44221Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 928-4511
- U S Renal Care - Cuyahoga Falls2.86 miles away421 Portage Trail, Suite B Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44221Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 928-7970
- Fmc - Portage County Kidney Center4.86 miles away401 Devon Place Ste 100 Kent Ohio 44240CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 677-0880
- Usrc Kent LLC6.19 miles away1720 East Main Street Kent Ohio 44240Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 346-0467
- Davita Akron Renal Center6.61 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 375-6848
- Childrens Hospital Medical Ctr - Akron7.08 miles awayOne Perkins Square - Dialysis Akron Ohio 44308Dialysis Stations: 4 (330) 543-8773
- Fmc - Streetsboro Kidney Center7.36 miles away9200 Staples Drive, Ste A Streetsboro Ohio 44241Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 422-0160