Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center is one of a mere two nursing homes located in Needham, Massachusetts. Sporting an overall grade of A, this is undoubtedly a first-rate nursing home. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top fifth of all facilities in the country. As you will see below, this facility performed just as well in our category ratings. We gave it a straight A report card!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
150 Lincoln Street,
Needham MA 02492
93.83% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a great overall grade, this facility excelled in nursing. In fact, we gave it an A for that category. Our nursing score is based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of skill of the nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
On the list of its many impressive grades, this nursing home was given first-rate short-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in this category. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This category is considered to be a fair measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center?
Racking up yet another strong category grade, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it received a score of A-. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we scored, this facility received a very favorable grade of A- in our long-term care category. With this grade, the facility completed a straight A report card. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 98.017 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of long-term residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term care residents that are given antianxiety medication. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 2.48% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 91.39% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels.
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarwood Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 0.18 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 4.69 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 8.03 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Wellesley Dialysis2.91 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)4.95 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston6.29 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner6.63 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Davita Brookline Dialysis7.21 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham7.75 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Kidney Center8.25 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)8.33 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989