Briarwood Health Care Center is located in Denver, Colorado, which has a host of nursing homes. With an overall rating of A, this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated facilities we assessed. We couldn't find many bad things to say about this nursing home. Its scores are as good as they get. Finally, this is a very consistent nursing home with consistent ratings in all four of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Briarwood Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our short-term care rating. Our short-term care scores are arguably most meaningful for patients in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Nursing scores are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarwood Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a dominant long-term care score. Indeed, this turned out to be its third strongest category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Facilities that receive this type of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 95.07575 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to this facility's impressive profile, we awarded this facility an A- for our inspections rating. With this score, the nursing home completes its straight A report card. Our inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarwood Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 5.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which sustained falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 2.14% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which sustained UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 17.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 12.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 3.81% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 84.99% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 15.45% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 19.26% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 1.08 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 19.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 12.03 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarwood Health Care Center, 75.71% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Denver, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Denver, Colorado has 41 other nursing homes
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.56 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Saint Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.7 miles away1375 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 812-2000
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 1.03 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.6 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- Denver Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.65 miles away777 Bannock St Denver Colorado 80204Government - State(303) 602-4930
- Centura Health-Porter Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away2525 S Downing St Denver Colorado 80210Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 778-1955
- Swedish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away501 E Hampden Ave Englewood Colorado 80113Proprietary(303) 788-5000
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 6.43 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Denver Dialysis (Dva)1.47 miles away2900 Downing St Ste C Denver Colorado 80205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (303) 292-0303
- Rocky Mountain Dialysis (Fmc)1.57 miles away4600 Hale Pkwy Ste 120 Denver Colorado 80220CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 320-6894
- Pavilion Dialysis (Fmc)1.81 miles away723 Delaware St #m105 Denver Colorado 80204CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 623-2107
- Belcaro Dialysis (Dva)2.74 miles away755 S Colorado Blvd Denver Colorado 80246Dialysis Stations: 14 (303) 777-2844
- Lowry Dialysis Center (Dva)3.55 miles away7465 E 1st Ave Ste A Denver Colorado 80230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 367-0946
- Stapleton Dialysis (Fmc)3.86 miles away7606 E 36th Ave Denver Colorado 80238Dialysis Stations: 20 (303) 322-1513
- South Denver Dialysis (Dva)4.81 miles away850 E Harvard Ave Ste 60 Denver Colorado 80210Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 744-0559
- Commerce City Dialysis (Dva)5.44 miles away6320 Holly St Commerce City Colorado 80022CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (303) 853-4300