Briarfield at Ashley Circle is a facility located in Youngstown, Ohio, a city with a total of 163,222 people. This nursing home was awarded an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a lower end score. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 22 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, you can continue reading to find out about its category scores. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Briarfield at Ashley Circle
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
5291 Ashley Circle,
Youngstown OH 44515
92.7% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it actually really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively insignificant. This place was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of C in the area. Nursing grades are primarily based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This place provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarfield at Ashley Circle?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second worse score is long-term care, where it earned just a D in that category. This is a well below average score. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 97.59036 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility also keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was short-term care. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this area, which is a rock bottom score. Short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last metric we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this nursing home's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarfield at Ashley Circle Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term care patients which were given antianxiety medication. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 20.26% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 90.12% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is critical to patients well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 12 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Youngstown, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Youngstown, Ohio has 21 other nursing homes
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.8 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Mh St Joseph Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.09 miles away667 Eastland Ave Se Warren Ohio 44481Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 841-4016
- Trumbull Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away1350 East Market Street Warren Ohio 44482Proprietary(330) 841-9820
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.9 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Salem Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.27 miles away1995 East State Street Salem Ohio 44460Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 332-1551
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 16.38 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Fmc- Austintown1.3 miles away139 Javit Court Youngstown Ohio 44515CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 799-1150
- Fresenius Kidney Care Cornersburg4.79 miles away3265 Canfield Rd, Unit C Youngstown Ohio 44511Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 792-6341
- Fmc - Youngstown5.68 miles away1340 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44504CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 746-2860
- Youngstown - Warren Home Dialysis6.05 miles away4531 Belmont Ave. Youngstown Ohio 44505Dialysis Stations: 3 (330) 759-3807
- Arc/Cdc, Ltd.6.97 miles away3695 Stutz Drive Canfield Ohio 44406Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 702-3040
- Fmc - Boardman Dialysis7.96 miles away257 Boardman-Canfield Rd. Youngstown Ohio 44512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 629-8856
- Warren Dialysis Center8.7 miles away8720 East Market Street, Ste 1a Warren Ohio 44484CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (330) 609-5502
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC9.37 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355