Briarfield at Ashley Circle is a facility located in Youngstown, Ohio, a city with a total of 163,222 people. We awarded this facility an overall score of C, which is middle of the road score. While this is not a dominant rating, it turned out to be one of the ten best facilities in Youngstown. Based on our ratings, this nursing home likely wouldn't be a bad choice. The best part of this place's profile is its remarkable inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Briarfield at Ashley Circle
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Youngstown senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless health inspection reports in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category generally have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Adding to this facility's list of strengths, it also received an excellent nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of B- in this category. Our nursing grade is based on a host of datapoints. The most important factor is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. While this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this metric. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarfield at Ashley Circle?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's next highest category is long-term care. However, with a grade of D in this area, it still performed somewhat badly. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 96.9163 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was short-term care, which is this nursing home's least impressive area. Sadly, it received an F for this area, which is clearly very disappointing. Our short-term care grades are meaningful for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarfield at Ashley Circle Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 6.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 3.52% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 99.02% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 97.28% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 7.14% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 4.64% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 4.64% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 16.94% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarfield at Ashley Circle, 58.73% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Youngstown, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Youngstown, Ohio has 21 other nursing homes
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.8 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Mh St Joseph Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.09 miles away667 Eastland Ave Se Warren Ohio 44481Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 841-4016
- Trumbull Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away1350 East Market Street Warren Ohio 44482Proprietary(330) 841-9820
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.9 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Salem Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.27 miles away1995 East State Street Salem Ohio 44460Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 332-1551
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 16.38 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Fmc- Austintown1.3 miles away139 Javit Court Youngstown Ohio 44515CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 799-1150
- Fresenius Kidney Care Cornersburg4.79 miles away3265 Canfield Rd, Unit C Youngstown Ohio 44511Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 792-6341
- Fmc - Youngstown5.68 miles away1340 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44504CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 746-2860
- Youngstown - Warren Home Dialysis6.05 miles away4531 Belmont Ave. Youngstown Ohio 44505Dialysis Stations: 3 (330) 759-3807
- Arc/Cdc, Ltd.6.97 miles away3695 Stutz Drive Canfield Ohio 44406Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 702-3040
- Fmc - Boardman Dialysis7.96 miles away257 Boardman-Canfield Rd. Youngstown Ohio 44512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 629-8856
- Warren Dialysis Center8.7 miles away8720 East Market Street, Ste 1a Warren Ohio 44484CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (330) 609-5502
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC9.37 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355