Briarcrest Nursing Center is one of four facilities located in Bell Gardens, California. Our rating system was not kind to this facility, as we gave it an overall grade of F. Although the city grade in Bell Gardens which is also just a D, you still ought to be able to find a better option. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
Briarcrest Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable short-term care grade this year. We gave it a C in that area. Our short-term care grades are probably most meaningful for people in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally mandates more skilled nursing. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. In computing a nursing home's nursing score, we weigh the amount of time nurses are caring for residents as well as the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, while this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in some of our quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this metric.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarcrest Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, we gave this facility an F for its long-term care grade. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
The last category we looked at was inspections. This facility didn't receive glowing inspections in recent years. Consequently, we had to give it an F in this category. For facilities with poor inspection grades, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with one category G through L deficiency, which are among the more severe categories of deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies found by CMS had the potential to create actual harm to patients. Finally, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was assessed large government fines in recent years amounting to more than $100,000. This often signifies that a nursing home's bad performance spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarcrest Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients who have experienced a fall which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term care patients who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Bell Gardens, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Bell Gardens, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.09 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.28 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Satellite Healthcare South Gate0.68 miles away8716 Garfield Avenue, Suite 100 South Gate California 90280CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 674-2600
- Davita-Premier Dialysis Center1.1 miles away7612 Atlantic Avenue Bell Gardens California 90201CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (323) 562-5511
- Davita South Gate Dialysis1.55 miles away9848 Atlantic Avenue South Gate California 90280Dialysis Stations: 25 (323) 569-1035
- Davita-Imperial Care Dialysis Center2.27 miles away4345 E. Imperial Highway Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (310) 900-0333
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis2.52 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center2.89 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- Davita-Kidney Dialysis Care Unit2.91 miles away3600 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 886-5156
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center3.16 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001