Briarcrest Nursing Center is one of four facilities located in Bell Gardens, California. Our rating system was not kind to this facility, as we gave it an overall grade of F. Although the city grade in Bell Gardens which is also just a D, you still ought to be able to find a better option. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
Briarcrest Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it actually received a decent short-term care grade this year. We awarded it a B in this area. Our short-term care grades are considered to be more important for patients in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. It doesn't look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our long-term care rating, which isn't a bad grade. Our long-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of nursing services. This means a broad spectrum of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is better than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarcrest Nursing Center?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. When determining our nursing ratings, we look at both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home offered just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This facility performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
The last category we looked at was inspections. This facility did not receive favorable inspections in recent years. In fact, we gave it an F here. You should pay close attention to any deficiencies on a nursing home's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection grade. We would scrutinize the severity of the deficiencies. This particular nursing home was assessed one category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more severe categories of deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies identified by CMS had the potential to create actual harm to residents. Lastly, we also would like to point out that this place was assessed significant government fines totaling over $100,000. This generally means that a nursing home's poor track record spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarcrest Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients which suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarcrest Nursing Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Bell Gardens, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Bell Gardens, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.09 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.28 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Satellite Healthcare South Gate0.68 miles away8716 Garfield Avenue, Suite 100 South Gate California 90280CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 674-2600
- Davita-Premier Dialysis Center1.1 miles away7612 Atlantic Avenue Bell Gardens California 90201CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (323) 562-5511
- Davita South Gate Dialysis1.55 miles away9848 Atlantic Avenue South Gate California 90280Dialysis Stations: 25 (323) 569-1035
- Davita-Imperial Care Dialysis Center2.27 miles away4345 E. Imperial Highway Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (310) 900-0333
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis2.52 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center2.89 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- Davita-Kidney Dialysis Care Unit2.91 miles away3600 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 886-5156
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center3.16 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001