Briarcliff Health Care Center is a facility in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, which has 29,700 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of C, which is a solid score. In our view, this facility is a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its strong inspection grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Briarcliff Health Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
100 Elmhurst Dr,
Oak Ridge TN 37830
79.5% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this facility really excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A-. Few facilities performed better in this area. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Our nursing score weighs a handful of factors, but the most important consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided just 2.9 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is far below average. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Briarcliff Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third best area is its short-term care score, where it received a C. Our short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The more important thing is determining what effect this had on the quality of care. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This facility performed better in this statistic. This place performed better than most facilities in this metric with 52 percent of its residents returning home. With most facilities, fewer than half of their short-stay residents are able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we rated is long-term care. This facility received a grade of C in this area. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 1.07 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a substantially lower hospitalization rate than the majority of nursing homes.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briarcliff Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 9.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care patients that have pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 3.51% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients who sustained a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 3.12% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care patients who have had a UTI. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 15.81% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used to treat several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 29.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 8.77% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 89.84% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 16.62% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 26.14% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Many argue that mobility is critical to residents' well-being.
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 1.21 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 26.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 11.25 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briarcliff Health Care Center, 72.83% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Methodist Medical Center of Oak RidgeAcute Care Hospitals 0.98 miles away990 Oak Ridge Turnpike Box 529 Oak Ridge Tennessee 37830Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 835-1000
- Parkwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.85 miles away9352 Park West Blvd Knoxville Tennessee 37923Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 970-9800
- Tennova Healthcare-North Knoxville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.12 miles away7565 Dannaher Way Powell Powell Tennessee 37849Proprietary(865) 545-8000
- Fort Loudon Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.56 miles away550 Fort Loudon Medical Center Dr Lenoir City Tennessee 37772Voluntary non-profit - Other(865) 271-6000
- University of Tn Medical Center (The)Acute Care Hospitals 16.54 miles away1924 Alcoa Highway Knoxville Tennessee 37920Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 544-9000
- East Tennessee Childrens HospitalChildrens 16.65 miles away2018 Clinch Ave Sw Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-8000
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.69 miles away1901 W Clinch Ave Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-1101
- Fmc Oak Ridge0.26 miles away650 Briarcliff Avenue Oak Ridge Tennessee 37830Dialysis Stations: 17 (865) 482-7650
- Clinch River Dialysis8.35 miles away702 North Main Street Clinton Tennessee 37716Dialysis Stations: 17 (865) 457-1114
- Fmc West Knoxville8.97 miles away11305 Station West Knoxville Tennessee 37922Dialysis Stations: 13 (865) 966-5100
- Fmc Cedar Bluff9.79 miles away431 Park 40 North Blvd Knoxville Tennessee 37923Dialysis Stations: 19 (865) 690-7517
- Knoxville Central Dialysis10.09 miles away9141 Cross Park Drive Suite 102 Knoxville Tennessee 37923Dialysis Stations: 8 (865) 531-4681
- Tannor Dialysis LLC10.29 miles away111 S Campbell Station Rd Knoxville Tennessee 37934Dialysis Stations: 13 (865) 777-2750
- Fmc Loudon Dialysis13.48 miles away200 Interchange Park Drive Lenoir City Tennessee 37772Dialysis Stations: 21 (865) 986-5257
- Fmc Powell13.65 miles away732 E. Emory Rd Knoxville Tennessee 37938CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 947-1700