Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation is one of just three available nursing homes in La Grange, Illinois. With an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a lower end nursing home. While the city grade in La Grange which is also just a D, you still should be able to do better. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is long-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We did not have any positive things to say about this nursing home's overall grade or its category grades. Nevertheless, with a D in this category, it still performed relatively badly. Nursing homes that do not fare well in this category typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to just 56.773396 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. For nursing homes that received this bad of an inspection rating, we would scrutinize any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This facility was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a threat to resident safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Does this page answer your questions about Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility received an F for its short-term care score. With our short-term care rating, we seek to create a meaningful measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze a nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Given its weak rating in this category, we were not stunned to find that this nursing home offered substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The final area we analyzed is nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is a bottom of the barrel score. There are numerous data points included in this category. Most of the subcategories are tied to nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 30.45% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 87.4% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Adventist La Grange Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2 miles away5101 S Willow Springs Rd La Grange Illinois 60525Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 352-1200
- Adventist Hinsdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away120 North Oak St Hinsdale Illinois 60521Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 856-9000
- Macneal HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away3249 South Oak Park Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402Proprietary(708) 783-9100
- Elmhurst Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away155 East Brush Hill Road Elmhurst Illinois 60126Proprietary(331) 221-0130
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Advocate Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.04 miles away3815 Highland Avenue Downers Grove Illinois 60515Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 275-5900
- Palos Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away12251 South 80th Avenue Palos Heights Illinois 60463Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 923-4000
- Advocate Christ Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away4440 W 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 684-8000
- Fmc - Willowbrook2.31 miles away6300 S Kingery Hwy Ste 408 Willowbrook Illinois 60527CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (630) 325-0309
- Fmc - Summit4.6 miles away7320 Archer Avenue Summit Argo Illinois 60501Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 594-1777
- Usrc - Hickory Hills Dialysis5.21 miles away9640 S. Roberts Road Suite B-3a Hickory Hills Illinois 60457Dialysis Stations: 13 (708) 459-9598
- Fmc - Westchester5.25 miles away2400 Wolf Road, Suite 101 A Westchester Illinois 60154CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (708) 409-7780
- Fmc - Midway Dialysis5.93 miles away6201 W. 63rd Street Chicago Illinois 60638CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 229-8268
- Davita - Stony Creek Dialysis6.76 miles away6246 W 95th St Oak Lawn Illinois 60453CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 233-9027
- Fmc - Berwyn6.86 miles away2601 S Harlem Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (708) 484-7300
- Nx Stage Kidney Care6.92 miles away1600 W 16th St Ste 13 Oak Brook Illinois 60523Dialysis Stations: 8 (630) 475-4340