Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation is one of just three available nursing homes in La Grange, Illinois. With an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a lower end nursing home. While the city grade in La Grange which is also just a D, you still should be able to do better. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is long-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on La Grange senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We did not have any positive things to say about this nursing home's overall grade or its category grades. Nevertheless, with a D in this category, it still performed relatively badly. Nursing homes that do not fare well in this category typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to just 32.63288 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of short-term care, this nursing home received just a D in this area. Sadly, this wound up being one of its better grades. Short-term care grades are meaningful for patients requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. With a score of this caliber for this area, we were not shocked to learn that this facility was well below average in several staffing areas we focus on. The nursing home supplied far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 5.6 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation?
This nursing home received a grade of just D in the area of inspections. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. We recommend you scrutinize the severity of the deficiencies. This particular nursing home was hit with 7 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
The final area we looked at is nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is a rock bottom score. The nursing category analyzes several data points, many of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 2.35% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who have sustained falls leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 0.4% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 30.16% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 20.18% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 64.44% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 54.36% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 27.77% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 30.7% of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that maintained mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental health.
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 30.7% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 12.89% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Briar Place Nursing and Rehabilitation, 47.9% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
- Adventist La Grange Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2 miles away5101 S Willow Springs Rd La Grange Illinois 60525Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 352-1200
- Adventist Hinsdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away120 North Oak St Hinsdale Illinois 60521Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 856-9000
- Macneal HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away3249 South Oak Park Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402Proprietary(708) 783-9100
- Elmhurst Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away155 East Brush Hill Road Elmhurst Illinois 60126Proprietary(331) 221-0130
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Advocate Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.04 miles away3815 Highland Avenue Downers Grove Illinois 60515Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 275-5900
- Palos Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away12251 South 80th Avenue Palos Heights Illinois 60463Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 923-4000
- Advocate Christ Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away4440 W 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 684-8000
- Fmc - Willowbrook2.31 miles away6300 S Kingery Hwy Ste 408 Willowbrook Illinois 60527CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (630) 325-0309
- Fmc - Summit4.6 miles away7320 Archer Avenue Summit Argo Illinois 60501Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 594-1777
- Usrc - Hickory Hills Dialysis5.21 miles away9640 S. Roberts Road Suite B-3a Hickory Hills Illinois 60457Dialysis Stations: 13 (708) 459-9598
- Fmc - Westchester5.25 miles away2400 Wolf Road, Suite 101 A Westchester Illinois 60154CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (708) 409-7780
- Fmc - Midway Dialysis5.93 miles away6201 W. 63rd Street Chicago Illinois 60638CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 229-8268
- Davita - Stony Creek Dialysis6.76 miles away6246 W 95th St Oak Lawn Illinois 60453CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 233-9027
- Fmc - Berwyn6.86 miles away2601 S Harlem Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (708) 484-7300
- Nx Stage Kidney Care6.92 miles away1600 W 16th St Ste 13 Oak Brook Illinois 60523Dialysis Stations: 8 (630) 475-4340