Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto is a large nursing home located in Gastonia, North Carolina. This is a solid facility, with an overall grade of C. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Gastonia, which is a B-. This facility did not excel in all of our categories, but it did not receive any rock-bottom grades either. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
969 Cox Road,
Gastonia NC 28054
73.88% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it earned an elite inspection grade. Its inspection grade was far better than its overall score. In our inspections category, we gave this facility a grade of A+. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second highest category turned out to be long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B-. For residents looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. After considering the volume of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Although it had 2.27 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was better than most nursing homes since it had more complicated patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of D. Our nursing rating includes a handful of factors, however, the paramount one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 3.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home was above average in two of the major datapoints we focus on, with solid scores for minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. These areas are typically reliable measures of the quality of nursing care available.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive area is short-term care, which is the final area we scored. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a D. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This score is generally a fair measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Based on its score in this area, we were not stunned to find that this place was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse hours offered to its patients. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 44 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. This statistic was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 10.34% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 3.97% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who had a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 3.26% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that have experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 11.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 22.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 3.06% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 88.86% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 19.28% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 26.79% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Many argue that mobility is important for residents' health.
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 26.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 11.98 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Gastonia, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Gastonia, North Carolina has 5 other nursing homes
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.46 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Atrium Health Kings MountainAcute Care Hospitals 12.73 miles away706 W King St Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 739-3601
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 15.05 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 17.25 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.89 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.1 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 19.49 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Fresenius Medical Care Gastonia1.7 miles away348 Burtonwood Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28054CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (704) 864-8863
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Gaston2.24 miles away1510 Lower Dallas Hwy Dallas North Carolina 28034Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 923-8001
- Bma South Gaston Dialysis4.71 miles away710 West Hudson Blvd. Gastonia North Carolina 28052CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 867-3417
- Belmont Dialysis Center5.94 miles away5010 Medical Care Court Belmont North Carolina 28012Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 827-2931
- Bma Kings Mountain10.78 miles away604 Canterbury Rd Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 730-1270
- Davita Brookshire12.32 miles away5601 Tuckaseegee Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28208Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 395-6091
- Dialysis Clinic Inc Kings Mountain13.16 miles away1010 Shelby Road Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 15 (704) 739-9342
- Fmc Lincolnton Dialysis13.71 miles away1090 S Grove Street Ext Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Dialysis Stations: 30 (704) 736-9300