Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto is a large nursing home located in Gastonia, North Carolina. Featuring an overall grade of B, this facility is a quality option. Based on our ratings, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it earned an impressive inspection rating. Inspections is its best category. In that category, we gave this facility an A+. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility really excelled in the category of long-term care, where it received a grade of A-. Few facilities performed more favorably in this area. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto?
Short-term Care Quality
The third highest category we gave this facility in any area came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. In the area of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. It doesn't look like this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 4.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
This nursing home's worst category is nursing, which is the last category we assessed. For this category, we awarded this facility a D. We assessed the skill-level of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of time those nurses worked with residents, in calculating our score in this area. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 10.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents that have pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained UTI's. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 11.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients which are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 3.01% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 87.89% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 18.87% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 24.57% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 24.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Gastonia, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Gastonia, North Carolina has 6 other nursing homes
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.46 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Atrium Health Kings MountainAcute Care Hospitals 12.73 miles away706 W King St Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 739-3601
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 15.05 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 17.25 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.89 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.1 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 19.49 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Fresenius Medical Care Gastonia1.7 miles away348 Burtonwood Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28054CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (704) 864-8863
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Gaston2.24 miles away1510 Lower Dallas Hwy Dallas North Carolina 28034Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 923-8001
- Bma South Gaston Dialysis4.71 miles away710 West Hudson Blvd. Gastonia North Carolina 28052CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 867-3417
- Belmont Dialysis Center5.94 miles away5010 Medical Care Court Belmont North Carolina 28012Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 827-2931
- Bma Kings Mountain10.78 miles away604 Canterbury Rd Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 730-1270
- Davita Brookshire12.32 miles away5601 Tuckaseegee Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28208Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 395-6091
- Dialysis Clinic Inc Kings Mountain13.16 miles away1010 Shelby Road Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 15 (704) 739-9342
- Fmc Lincolnton Dialysis13.71 miles away1090 S Grove Street Ext Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Dialysis Stations: 30 (704) 736-9300