Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto is a large nursing home located in Gastonia, North Carolina. Featuring an overall grade of D, this is a lower end facility. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Gastonia. The city has just two other nursing homes. Finally, this facility had an ownership change in the last year, so hopefully its performance improves in the coming year.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on Gastonia senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it actually excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite minor. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home just a D for our long-term care grade and that actually wound up as its second best category. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we assessed the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinates 94.16446 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of short-term care, this facility was given just a D in that category. In the area of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. With its score in this area, we weren't surprised to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The final measure we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this nursing home's short-term care grade.
Moving on to the final area, this nursing home really did not perform well in this area either. With a poor grade of F in nursing, this is really as terrible as it gets. Our nursing grade is primarily based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 10% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 3.14% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 12.15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 21.12% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 3.84% of Patients
This is the percent of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 88.29% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 19.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 21.81% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 21.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 12.78 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Gasto, 73.13% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.46 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Atrium Health Kings MountainAcute Care Hospitals 12.73 miles away706 W King St Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 739-3601
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 15.05 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 17.25 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.89 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.1 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 19.49 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Fresenius Medical Care Gastonia1.7 miles away348 Burtonwood Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28054CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (704) 864-8863
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Gaston2.24 miles away1510 Lower Dallas Hwy Dallas North Carolina 28034Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 923-8001
- Bma South Gaston Dialysis4.71 miles away710 West Hudson Blvd. Gastonia North Carolina 28052CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 867-3417
- Belmont Dialysis Center5.94 miles away5010 Medical Care Court Belmont North Carolina 28012Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 827-2931
- Bma Kings Mountain10.78 miles away604 Canterbury Rd Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 730-1270
- Davita Brookshire12.32 miles away5601 Tuckaseegee Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28208Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 395-6091
- Dialysis Clinic Inc Kings Mountain13.16 miles away1010 Shelby Road Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 15 (704) 739-9342
- Fmc Lincolnton Dialysis13.71 miles away1090 S Grove Street Ext Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Dialysis Stations: 30 (704) 736-9300