Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch is a nursing home located in Charlotte, North Carolina which has 790,689 people. With an overall rating of C, this looks like a decent nursing home. Based on all of the relevant data, there are certainly far worse facilities out there. This place didn't fare well in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. More information about its category grades is available below.
Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this facility received a decent overall grade is its impeccable government inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our higher scores in that category, with a grade of A. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest area turned out to be long-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of C. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 93.902435 percent of its residents, which is higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of D. There are several datapoints included in this category. Most of the datapoints relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This place provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This statistic is significantly below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's worst category was short-term care, which is the final category we scored. For this category, we gave this facility a D. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Given its grade in this category, we weren't stunned to discover that this place was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. The final item we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics sunk this facility's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 10.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care. More supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients which had urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 22.36% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 2.92% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 88.16% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 19.43% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 26.81% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 26.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 11.94 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 72.2% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Charlotte, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Charlotte, North Carolina has 18 other nursing homes
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Atrium Health University CityAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away8800 North Tyron Street Charlotte North Carolina 28262Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 548-6000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 10.26 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.45 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Carolinas Healthcare System NortheastAcute Care Hospitals 18.32 miles away920 Church St N Concord North Carolina 28025Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 783-3000
- Charlotte East Dialysis0.23 miles away5627 Albemarle Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28212CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 535-3962
- Bio-Medical Applications of North Carolina, Inc.1.14 miles away6646 Regal Oaks Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28212Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 535-7231
- Independent Nephrology Services Charlotte1.14 miles away6646 Regal Oaks Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28212Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 717-2825
- Fresenius Medical Care Aldersgate2.39 miles away3211 Bishops Way Ln Suite 2000 Charlotte North Carolina 28215Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 567-2045
- Dsi Charlotte Latrobe Dialysis2.74 miles away3515 Latrobe Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28211Dialysis Stations: 24 (704) 366-5299
- Bma East Charlotte3.86 miles away1334 Central Avenue Charlotte North Carolina 28205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 334-2226
- Presbyterian Hospital4.18 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Charlotte North Carolina 28204Dialysis Stations: 13 (704) 384-4034
- Fmc of North Charlotte4.22 miles away5220 N Tryon Street Charlotte North Carolina 28213CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (704) 596-0680