Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch is a nursing home located in Charlotte, North Carolina which has 790,689 people. With an overall rating of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Charlotte. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
5939 Reddman Road,
Charlotte NC 28212
73.1% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't grade this facility favorably overall, we did give it an excellent score in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid facilities with a bunch of severe deficiencies flagged. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
The second most favorable category we awarded this facility in any category came in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a C. Long-term care ratings are pivotal for people requiring personal care. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We found that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 89.87854 percent of its patients, which is quite a bit lower than we expected. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of short-term care, this nursing home was awarded just a D in that category. Our short-term care grades are arguably most important for people needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Based on its poor grade in this area, we weren't surprised to discover that this nursing home provides substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last measure we assessed in this category is the number of patients who returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below average.
The final category we scored was nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is a very poor grade. Our nursing grade includes a host of factors. The most heavily weighted factor is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 10.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a fall resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 11.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 3.01% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 87.89% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 18.87% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 24.57% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 24.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brian Center Health & Rehab/Ch, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Charlotte, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Charlotte, North Carolina has 19 other nursing homes
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Atrium Health University CityAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away8800 North Tyron Street Charlotte North Carolina 28262Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 548-6000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 10.26 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.45 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Carolinas Healthcare System NortheastAcute Care Hospitals 18.32 miles away920 Church St N Concord North Carolina 28025Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 783-3000
- Charlotte East Dialysis0.23 miles away5627 Albemarle Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28212CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 535-3962
- Bio-Medical Applications of North Carolina, Inc.1.14 miles away6646 Regal Oaks Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28212Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 535-7231
- Independent Nephrology Services Charlotte1.14 miles away6646 Regal Oaks Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28212Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 717-2825
- Fresenius Medical Care Aldersgate2.39 miles away3211 Bishops Way Ln Suite 2000 Charlotte North Carolina 28215Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 567-2045
- Dsi Charlotte Latrobe Dialysis2.74 miles away3515 Latrobe Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28211Dialysis Stations: 24 (704) 366-5299
- Bma East Charlotte3.86 miles away1334 Central Avenue Charlotte North Carolina 28205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 334-2226
- Presbyterian Hospital4.18 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Charlotte North Carolina 28204Dialysis Stations: 13 (704) 384-4034
- Fmc of North Charlotte4.22 miles away5220 N Tryon Street Charlotte North Carolina 28213CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (704) 596-0680