Bria of Palos Hills is a very-large facility located in Palos Hills, Illinois. We gave this facility a rock bottom overall score based on the data we looked at. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Palos Hills. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Bria of Palos Hills
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B for our short-term care rating. In forming our short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. It does not appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
This place actually performed well in inspections as well. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is a solid score. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even with this deficiency, this place still had a relatively positive report.
Does this page answer your questions about Bria of Palos Hills?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is long-term care. This facility's was given an unfortunate long-term care grade where it received a lowly F. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care ratings. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 98.86793 percent of its residents, which is higher than most nursing homes. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
The final category we scored is nursing, where this facility received a rock bottom score in this category as well. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is definitely somewhat alarming. We analyzed the skill-level of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses spent with residents, in determining our rating in this category. With only 0.1 hours of nursing care per patient per day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This facility performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bria of Palos Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bria of Palos Hills, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bria of Palos Hills, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bria of Palos Hills, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bria of Palos Hills, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bria of Palos Hills, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bria of Palos Hills, 29.8% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bria of Palos Hills, 87.49% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bria of Palos Hills, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some experts argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bria of Palos Hills, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bria of Palos Hills, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bria of Palos Hills, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bria of Palos Hills, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Palos Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.26 miles away12251 South 80th Avenue Palos Heights Illinois 60463Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 923-4000
- Advocate Christ Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.56 miles away4440 W 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 684-8000
- Little Company of Mary HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away2800 W 95th St Evergreen Park Illinois 60805Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 422-6200
- Adventist La Grange Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away5101 S Willow Springs Rd La Grange Illinois 60525Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 352-1200
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.02 miles away2701 W 68th Street Chicago Illinois 60629Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 884-9000
- Adventist Hinsdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.9 miles away120 North Oak St Hinsdale Illinois 60521Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 856-9000
- Macneal HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.13 miles away3249 South Oak Park Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402Proprietary(708) 783-9100
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Usrc - Hickory Hills Dialysis1.01 miles away9640 S. Roberts Road Suite B-3a Hickory Hills Illinois 60457Dialysis Stations: 13 (708) 459-9598
- Davita - Chicago Ridge Dialysis1.96 miles away10511 S. Harlem Ave. Chicago Ridge Illinois 60415Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 361-2863
- Davita - Stony Creek Dialysis2.44 miles away6246 W 95th St Oak Lawn Illinois 60453CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 233-9027
- Motte Dialysis3.89 miles away5020 W. 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Dialysis Stations: 12 (615) 238-3136
- Dcc - Oak Lawn4.32 miles away9115 S Cicero Ave, Suite 300 Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Dialysis Stations: 11 (708) 907-3066
- Fmc - Alsip Dialysis Center4.37 miles away12250 S Cicero Ste 105 Alsip Illinois 60803CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 389-0955
- Davita Ford City Dialysis4.93 miles away8159 S. Cicero Ave Chicago Illinois 60652Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 585-5504
- Davita - Alsip Home Training5.12 miles away11500 S. Pulaski Road Alsip Illinois 60803Dialysis Stations: 4 (708) 385-7145