Bria of Forest Edge is a very-large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. This facility received an overall grade of F. While the city grade in Chicago which is also just a D, you still ought to be able to find a better option. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this nursing home received a decent grade in the area of nursing. We provide additional information about this category below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bria of Forest Edge
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Bria of Forest Edge has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this nursing home a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a C for our nursing category. Nursing grades are tied to quantity of nursing care available. This place provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's next highest category is short-term care. However, with a D in this category, it still fared somewhat poorly. Short-term care grades are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Given its poor rating in this area, we weren't stunned to discover this nursing home offers substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most facilities. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Bria of Forest Edge?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this nursing home's inspection grades where it received an F. This generally means we found some red flags on the inspection reports. For facilities with bad inspection grades, you should focus on any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This particular facility was hit with 7 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a threat to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is long-term care. This nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel grade of F in that area. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility administered the vaccine to a relatively low 54.926826 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bria of Forest Edge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bria of Forest Edge, 3.41% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bria of Forest Edge, 1.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term care patients that have sustained a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bria of Forest Edge, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bria of Forest Edge, 5.42% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bria of Forest Edge, 8.88% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bria of Forest Edge, 95.23% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bria of Forest Edge, 76.45% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bria of Forest Edge, 4.11% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bria of Forest Edge, 6.63% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Bria of Forest Edge, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bria of Forest Edge, 6.63% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bria of Forest Edge, 1.75% of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bria of Forest Edge, 43.71% of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 79 other nursing homes
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.61 miles away2701 W 68th Street Chicago Illinois 60629Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 884-9000
- Little Company of Mary HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.92 miles away2800 W 95th St Evergreen Park Illinois 60805Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 422-6200
- Advocate Christ Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.19 miles away4440 W 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 684-8000
- St Bernard HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away326 W 64th St Chicago Illinois 60621Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 962-3900
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- The University of Chicago Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away5841 South Maryland Chicago Illinois 60637Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 702-1000
- Jackson Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away7531 S Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60649Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 947-7500
- Provident Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away500 E 51st St Chicago Illinois 60615Government - Local(312) 572-2000
- Fmc - Southside Dialysis Center1.08 miles away3134 West 76th Street Chicago Illinois 60652CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (773) 471-0400
- Fresenius Kidney Care Chicagoland LLC1.51 miles away8901 S. Kedzie Evergreen Park Illinois 60805Dialysis Stations: 30 (708) 422-7764
- Fmc - Marquette Park1.87 miles away6535 South Western Ave. Chicago Illinois 60636CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 778-7609
- Midwest Kidney Center2.19 miles away8632 S Pulaski Rd Chicago Illinois 60652Dialysis Stations: 1 (773) 284-2572
- Davita - West Lawn Dialysis2.41 miles away7000-C S. Pulaski Chicago Illinois 60629CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 284-5324
- Fmc - Chatham2.71 miles away8710 S. Holland Rd Chicago Illinois 60620CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 723-2536
- Mt Sinai Hosp Med Ctr Renal Unit2.73 miles away1500 S. California Ave. Chicago Illinois 60608Dialysis Stations: 11 (773) 257-6686
- Fmc - Beverly Ridge2.79 miles away9924 S. Vincennes Ave. Chicago Illinois 60643Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 239-4362