Bria of Forest Edge is a very-large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. This facility received an overall grade of F. Keep in mind that Chicago received a city grade of C, so should consider some other options in the city as well. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this place earned a decent score in the area of long-term care. We provide more information on this category below.
Bria of Forest Edge
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a C for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This facility was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This indicates that this facility dodged the more serious categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this nursing home only received a D for its long-term care rating, which happens to be one of its higher category grades. For residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 96.47177 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility also keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Bria of Forest Edge?
Unfortunately, we gave this facility an F for its nursing grade. We weighed the qualifications of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time those nurses were with patients, in determining our grade in this area. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth area, this nursing home really did not perform very well in this area either. With a very poor grade of F in short-term care, this is about as bad as it gets. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Considering its score in this category, we weren't stunned to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the figures we assessed. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bria of Forest Edge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bria of Forest Edge, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bria of Forest Edge, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care patients who suffered falls leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bria of Forest Edge, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients that have had urinary tract infections. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bria of Forest Edge, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bria of Forest Edge, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bria of Forest Edge, 30.45% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bria of Forest Edge, 87.4% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bria of Forest Edge, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bria of Forest Edge, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Bria of Forest Edge, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bria of Forest Edge, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bria of Forest Edge, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bria of Forest Edge, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.61 miles away2701 W 68th Street Chicago Illinois 60629Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 884-9000
- Little Company of Mary HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.92 miles away2800 W 95th St Evergreen Park Illinois 60805Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 422-6200
- Advocate Christ Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.19 miles away4440 W 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 684-8000
- St Bernard HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away326 W 64th St Chicago Illinois 60621Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 962-3900
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- The University of Chicago Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away5841 South Maryland Chicago Illinois 60637Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 702-1000
- Jackson Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away7531 S Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60649Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 947-7500
- Provident Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away500 E 51st St Chicago Illinois 60615Government - Local(312) 572-2000
- Fmc - Southside Dialysis Center1.08 miles away3134 West 76th Street Chicago Illinois 60652CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (773) 471-0400
- Fresenius Kidney Care Chicagoland LLC1.51 miles away8901 S. Kedzie Evergreen Park Illinois 60805Dialysis Stations: 30 (708) 422-7764
- Fmc - Marquette Park1.87 miles away6535 South Western Ave. Chicago Illinois 60636CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 778-7609
- Midwest Kidney Center2.19 miles away8632 S Pulaski Rd Chicago Illinois 60652Dialysis Stations: 1 (773) 284-2572
- Davita - West Lawn Dialysis2.41 miles away7000-C S. Pulaski Chicago Illinois 60629CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 284-5324
- Fmc - Chatham2.71 miles away8710 S. Holland Rd Chicago Illinois 60620CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 723-2536
- Mt Sinai Hosp Med Ctr Renal Unit2.73 miles away1500 S. California Ave. Chicago Illinois 60608Dialysis Stations: 11 (773) 257-6686
- Fmc - Beverly Ridge2.79 miles away9924 S. Vincennes Ave. Chicago Illinois 60643Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 239-4362