Elevate Care Riverwoods is a senior living facility in Deerfield, Illinois, which has 26,800 people. This nursing home received an overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. As far as we can see, we would struggle to recommend this facility. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Elevate Care Riverwoods
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3705 Deerfield Road,
Deerfield IL 60015
65.91% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this place overall, we awarded it a B+ for our inspections rating. This grade is much more impressive than the place's overall grade. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid places with a list of deficiencies flagged. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we gave this facility an B-. When calculating a facility's nursing rating, we look at the amount of time nurses are caring for residents as well as the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly fared better in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Elevate Care Riverwoods?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility only received a D for its short-term care score, which is not a very good score. Short-term care grades are typically employed to grade a facility's rehabilitation services In order to have highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Based on its abysmal grade in this area, we were not surprised to discover this facility provided significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other facilities. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed was long-term care, was this facility's weakest category. We gave this facility a D in that area. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to only 66.59794 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elevate Care Riverwoods Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 30.45% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 87.4% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elevate Care Riverwoods, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.89 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.58 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 7.97 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 12.39 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.34 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.53 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Lake Behavioral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.55 miles away2615 W Washington St Waukegan Illinois 60085Proprietary(847) 249-3900
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis3.99 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400
- Fmc - Deerfield Dialysis Center4.28 miles away405 Lake Cook Rd. Suite a13 Deerfield Illinois 60015Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 559-0374
- Davita - Lake County Dialysis Services Inc4.4 miles away565 Lakeview Pkwy Ste 176 Vernon Hills Illinois 60061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (847) 918-0592
- Fmc - Highland5.04 miles away1657 Old Skokie Road Highland Park Illinois 60035Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 579-0675
- Fmc - Palatine Dialysis Center5.86 miles away691 East Dundee Road Palatine Illinois 60074CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (847) 963-4299
- Fmc - Mundelein5.95 miles away1402 Townline Road Mundelein Illinois 60060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 949-3904
- Glen Dialysis6.92 miles away2601 Compass Road Suite 145 Glenview Illinois 60026Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 657-7574
- Fmc - Glenview Dialysis Center7.46 miles away4248 Commercial Way Glenview Illinois 60025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 824-2006