Brentwood Health Care Center is one of only three facilities in Santa Monica, California. This is not a bad facility with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Santa Monica. Based on our analysis, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. The best part of this facility's report card was is its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brentwood Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Santa Monica senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility really excelled in our short-term care rating, with an A in this category. This really propped up its overall score. With our short-term care category, we seek to craft a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess a nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 7.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Turning to the category of nursing, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- in that area. In computing a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are seeing residents as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning residents more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Brentwood Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities third best area is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in this area. This is basically a middle of the pack grade in this category. Our long-term care ratings are meaningful for residents looking for personal care. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 96.55173 percent of its patients, which is higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. Unfortunately, with an F in the inspection category, this nursing home's overall grade was adversely affected. When a facility has this bad of an inspection rating, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This facility was assessed 10 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 19 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brentwood Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients which were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating signs of depression. Many would argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brentwood Health Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.77 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Santa Monica - Ucla Med Ctr & Orthopaedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away1250 16th Street Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 319-4000
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.2 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 2.25 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 9.07 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.83 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Davita-Mar Vista0.1 miles away2020 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100 & 120 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 453-4900
- Davita-Santa Monica Dialysis1.3 miles away1260 15th Street, Suite 102 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 393-4744
- Davita-Century City Dialysis Center2.26 miles away10630 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles California 90025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 954-2700
- Fmc-Culver City Dialysis3.49 miles away9432 Venice Blvd. Culver City California 90230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 836-2237
- Davita-Beverlywood Dialysis3.6 miles away2080 Century Park East, Suite 210 Los Angeles California 90067Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 772-0224
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- West Los Angeles4.25 miles awayDialysis Unit 6041 Cadillac Avenue, Suite 442 Los Angeles California 90034Dialysis Stations: 4 (323) 857-3245
- u.s. Renal Care Culver City4.3 miles away9808 Venice Blvd., Suite 200 Culver City California 90232Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 841-0500
- u.s. Renal Care West Los Angeles Dialysis5.31 miles away1801 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles California 90035CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 840-5688