Brandywine Hall is in West Chester, Pennsylvania. The city has a population of 105,091 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a respectable grade. This place seems to have some things working in its favor. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's best category grade came in the category of government inspections. In that category, we awarded this facility a B+. It outperformed most facilities in this area. Inspection scores are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that category, which is one of our better scores. Our nursing rating is largely associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning a resident more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Brandywine Hall?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest category was long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B-. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. As it turns out, this facility vaccinated a relatively low 54.870773 percent of its residents, which is somewhat concerning. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was short-term care. Sadly, it received an abysmal F in this area, which is an abysmal score. This is certainly a significant disappointment. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to judge a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Considering its score in this area, we weren't surprised to find that this facility is well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we looked at. The final metric we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brandywine Hall Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brandywine Hall, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffered from pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brandywine Hall, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brandywine Hall, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained UTI's. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brandywine Hall, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brandywine Hall, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brandywine Hall, 3.12% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brandywine Hall, 88.22% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brandywine Hall, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brandywine Hall, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brandywine Hall, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brandywine Hall, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brandywine Hall, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brandywine Hall, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for West Chester, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? West Chester, Pennsylvania has 4 other nursing homes
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.96 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 11.86 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.73 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Main Line Hospital Bryn Mawr CampusAcute Care Hospitals 16.45 miles away130 South Bryn Mawr Ave Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 526-3000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.79 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis1.88 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester4.33 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103
- Dialyze Direct Pa LLC5.59 miles away495 Thomas Jones Way, Suite 300 Exton Pennsylvania 19341Dialysis Stations: 1 (484) 870-9260
- Davita Healthcare Partners, Inc.7.67 miles away265 Wilmington West Chester Pike Chadds Ford Pennsylvania 19317Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 558-6965
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis7.82 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware Inc9.03 miles away1417 Foulk Road Wilmington Delaware 19803Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 479-7130
- Renal Treatment Centers Mid Atlantic Inc9.3 miles away4 Industrial Boulevard, Suite 155 Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Dialysis Stations: 9 (610) 644-3941
- Riddle Dialysis Center9.91 miles away100 Granite Drive, Suite 106 Media Pennsylvania 19063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 892-4701