Brandywine Hall is in West Chester, Pennsylvania. The city has a population of 105,091 people. We gave this nursing home an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. West Chester received a city grade of C, so there are some other options in the city worth considering. Finally, there was an ownership change at this facility in the last year. Ideally, their performance will improve under new ownership.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Brandywine Hall has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on West Chester senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this place a poor overall grade, we awarded it a B for our inspections rating. This is the result of the facility receiving a decent government inspection report this year. Our inspection grades are based on several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. You should especially avoid facilities with severe deficiencies associated with risks to resident well being. This place was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our nursing rating, which isn't a bad grade. Our nursing rating is mostly tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a relatively low total compared with most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Does this page answer your questions about Brandywine Hall?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second worse score is long-term care, where it received a grade of just D in that category. This is a well below average grade. Nursing homes that don't fare well in this category typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home provided the vaccine to only 48.392857 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, this facility didn't perform very well in this category either. With a very poor grade of F in short-term care, this is just about as bad as it gets. Our short-term care grades are vital for residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional highly-skilled nursing. This means a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home offers far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average nursing home. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brandywine Hall Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brandywine Hall, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brandywine Hall, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brandywine Hall, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term patients who suffered from UTI's. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brandywine Hall, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brandywine Hall, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brandywine Hall, 3.3% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brandywine Hall, 86.27% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brandywine Hall, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brandywine Hall, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brandywine Hall, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brandywine Hall, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brandywine Hall, 9.68 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brandywine Hall, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.96 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 11.86 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.73 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Main Line Hospital Bryn Mawr CampusAcute Care Hospitals 16.45 miles away130 South Bryn Mawr Ave Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 526-3000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.79 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis1.88 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester4.33 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103
- Dialyze Direct Pa LLC5.59 miles away495 Thomas Jones Way, Suite 300 Exton Pennsylvania 19341Dialysis Stations: 1 (484) 870-9260
- Davita Healthcare Partners, Inc.7.67 miles away265 Wilmington West Chester Pike Chadds Ford Pennsylvania 19317Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 558-6965
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis7.82 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware Inc9.03 miles away1417 Foulk Road Wilmington Delaware 19803Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 479-7130
- Renal Treatment Centers Mid Atlantic Inc9.3 miles away4 Industrial Boulevard, Suite 155 Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Dialysis Stations: 9 (610) 644-3941
- Riddle Dialysis Center9.91 miles away100 Granite Drive, Suite 106 Media Pennsylvania 19063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 892-4701