Boulevard Temple Care Center is a large nursing home located in Detroit, Michigan. With an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. We rated this as one of the ten worst rated facilities in Detroit. In a city with many other nursing homes, you should be able to find a better option. The best thing we can really say about this nursing home is that it did not receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Boulevard Temple Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Boulevard Temple Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Detroit senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home well overall, we want to point out its decent health inspections in recent years. We gave it a relatively respectable grade of B- in this area. Our inspection scores are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B-. Nursing scores are mostly based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility fared better in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Does this page answer your questions about Boulevard Temple Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category was short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. In calculating our short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to formulate a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The important question is whether this also affected quality of care. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who returned home from this facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was long-term care. We awarded it a C in that area. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this area. Our long-term care grade is used to grade a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. After we finished assessing the amount of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 87.17948 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Nevertheless, this place keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Boulevard Temple Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 1.14% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 3.83% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients who are given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 6.95% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 2.69% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 80.7% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 18.35% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 24.31% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 24.31% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 10.39% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 48.1% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 5 other nursing homes
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.89 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.07 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 7.92 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.77 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.77 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion0.44 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- New Center Dialysis of Davita0.91 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge1.68 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis1.81 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.08 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Wayne County Dialysis2.82 miles away20001 Livernois Ave Ste 500 Detroit Michigan 48221Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 861-0340
- Davita - Highland Park3.01 miles away64 Victor St Highland Park Michigan 48203Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 852-7700
- Davita Wyoming Street Dialysis3.86 miles away13945 Wyoming St Detroit Michigan 48238Dialysis Stations: 13 (313) 931-5230