Boulevard Temple Care Center is a large nursing home located in Detroit, Michigan. With an overall grade of B-, this is likely a decent nursing home. In a city without a great selection of nursing homes, this facility was better than most of the alternatives in Detroit. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home was consistent in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories is available below.
Boulevard Temple Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this facility received a decent overall grade is its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better grades in that category, with an A. This is a much better score than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
We also wanted to note that this nursing home received an B in the category of nursing. We assessed the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in computing our rating in this category. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Boulevard Temple Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third highest category we gave this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In calculating our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is generally a solid assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, it does not look like this facility submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we rated is long-term care. For this category, we gave this facility a C. In our long-term care score, we focus more on the sheer volume of services provided by a facility, as well as a few quality measures. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We discovered that this facility provided the vaccine to just 87.9056 percent of its residents, which is several points lower than we expected. Fortunately, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Boulevard Temple Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term care residents that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who have sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 3.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 91.43% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.89 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.07 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 7.92 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.77 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.77 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion0.44 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- New Center Dialysis of Davita0.91 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge1.68 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis1.81 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.08 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Wayne County Dialysis2.82 miles away20001 Livernois Ave Ste 500 Detroit Michigan 48221Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 861-0340
- Davita - Highland Park3.01 miles away64 Victor St Highland Park Michigan 48203Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 852-7700
- Davita Wyoming Street Dialysis3.86 miles away13945 Wyoming St Detroit Michigan 48238Dialysis Stations: 13 (313) 931-5230