Boulevard Temple Care Center is a large nursing home located in Detroit, Michigan. With an overall grade of B-, this is likely a decent nursing home. In a city without a great selection of nursing homes, this facility was better than most of the alternatives in Detroit. The best part of this facility's report card is its stellar inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Boulevard Temple Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its decent overall score, we awarded this facility a grade of A for its inspection grade. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's higher category grades was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a B. Our short-term care grades are presumably more important for patients needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not look like this facility submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Boulevard Temple Care Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our nursing grade includes a handful of components, however, the most important one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It scored well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive category was long-term care, which is the final category we scored. For this area, we gave this nursing home a grade of just D. Facilities that do not fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. After we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated just 88.27161 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Boulevard Temple Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who have sustained falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint may be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 3.47% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 91.4% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' well-being.
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Boulevard Temple Care Center, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 25 other nursing homes
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.89 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.07 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 7.92 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.77 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.77 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion0.44 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- New Center Dialysis of Davita0.91 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge1.68 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis1.81 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.08 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Wayne County Dialysis2.82 miles away20001 Livernois Ave Ste 500 Detroit Michigan 48221Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 861-0340
- Davita - Highland Park3.01 miles away64 Victor St Highland Park Michigan 48203Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 852-7700
- Davita Wyoming Street Dialysis3.86 miles away13945 Wyoming St Detroit Michigan 48238Dialysis Stations: 13 (313) 931-5230