Boulevard Manor is an average-sized nursing home located in Detroit, Michigan. This nursing home was given a rock bottom overall grade based on the data we assessed. While the city grade in Detroit which is also just a D, you still ought to be able to find a better option. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next section.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
464 E Grand Blvd,
Detroit MI 48207
93.33% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Boulevard Manor has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a poor overall score, we also gave this facility poor grades across the board in our categories. In fact, it only received a grade of D for its long-term care score, which was its best area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means the facility did not perform well in our measures relating to resident care. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. We were disappointed to learn that this nursing home vaccinated only 27.05882 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Finally, we looked at its number of hospitalizations. We found that this place had 2.13 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, this figure is also a cause for concern.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D. Our nursing score is based on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of the nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home averages 3.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which is below the national average. To go along with its subpar totals in the area of nursing hours per resident, this nursing home also did not fare as well in the quality-based measures we looked at in calculating our nursing grades. We looked at the percentage of patients sustaining pressure ulcers and major falls. This place had more pressure ulcers and falls than the average facility.
Does this page answer your questions about Boulevard Manor?
This nursing home received a grade of just D in the area of inspections. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed one category G through L deficiency, which are among the more serious deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies identified by CMS had the potential to create actual harm to residents. In addition to having severe deficiencies, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we graded is short-term care, where this facility was given a bottom of the barrel score in this area as well. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is definitely a major concern. Short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. As you might expect, we learned that this place offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than a typical facility. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 35.3 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Boulevard Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Boulevard Manor, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Boulevard Manor, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who had a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Boulevard Manor, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that have experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Boulevard Manor, 13.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Boulevard Manor, 18.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Boulevard Manor, 3.45% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Boulevard Manor, 91.71% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Boulevard Manor, 12.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Boulevard Manor, 19.59% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Many argue that mobility is important for residents' health.
In Boulevard Manor, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Boulevard Manor, 19.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Boulevard Manor, 10.82 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Boulevard Manor, 76.52% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 24 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.36 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.85 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.49 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.33 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick0.61 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.33 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis2.48 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge2.87 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.58 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- New Center Dialysis of Davita3.75 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion3.98 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- Davita - Cadieux5.53 miles away6150 Cadieux Rd Detroit Michigan 48224Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 640-9295