Boulevard Manor is an average-sized facility in Detroit, Michigan. We gave this nursing home an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 23 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Aug 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
We are not able to award this place any respectable grades. We especially wanted to point out that we gave it an F for its inspection score. An F in this area is particularly alarming because it usually points to red flags on the facility's government inspections. We would advise paying special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection rating. We suggest you scrutinize the level of severity of the deficiencies. This particular nursing home had one category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more serious deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies found by the government inspectors had potential to cause actual harm to patients. Finally, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this place was assessed significant government fines recently totaling over $100,000. This usually signifies that a nursing home's bad performance spanned several years.
Short-term Care Quality
In our next category, we gave this facility a rock-bottom F in the area of short-term care. Our short-term care scores are probably more critical for individuals requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this nursing home offers far less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical nursing home. Finally, we considered the number of residents who eventually returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Boulevard Manor?
Long-term Care Quality
Another concern is the F this nursing home received in the area of long-term care. Long-term care grades in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We found that this nursing home provided the vaccine to only 19.999998 percent of its residents, which is several points lower than we expected. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
The last area we assessed is nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is an abysmal score. Our nursing grade looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Boulevard Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Boulevard Manor, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Boulevard Manor, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who experienced falls resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Boulevard Manor, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients who sustained a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Boulevard Manor, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Boulevard Manor, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Boulevard Manor, 3.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Boulevard Manor, 91.43% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Boulevard Manor, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Boulevard Manor, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Boulevard Manor, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Boulevard Manor, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Boulevard Manor, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Boulevard Manor, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.36 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.85 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.49 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.33 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick0.61 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.33 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis2.48 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge2.87 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.58 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- New Center Dialysis of Davita3.75 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion3.98 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- Davita - Cadieux5.53 miles away6150 Cadieux Rd Detroit Michigan 48224Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 640-9295