Boulder Manor is a nursing home located in Boulder, Colorado, a city with 120,932 people. This nursing home was given a somewhat concerning overall grade of D, which is a subpar score. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Boulder. The city has just three other nursing homes. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Boulder Manor has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many positive things to say about this facility's overall score, it did receive a respectable inspection report this year. It received a decent grade in this category with a B-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some can be quite insignificant. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This figure is far below average. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Boulder Manor?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest area is short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a C. In determining our short-term care grades, we scrutinize a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This grade is more often than not a solid measure of a facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that returned home from this facility. We found that 4.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed is long-term care, which proved to be a weak spot for this facility. We awarded this nursing home a D in the area of long-term care. Facilities that do not fare well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 57.38636 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be quite a few points below the national average. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Boulder Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Boulder Manor, 6.01% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that suffered from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Boulder Manor, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Boulder Manor, 2.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Boulder Manor, 17.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Boulder Manor, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Boulder Manor, 3.73% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Boulder Manor, 85.7% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Boulder Manor, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Boulder Manor, 20.53% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Boulder Manor, 20.53 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Boulder Manor, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Boulder Manor, 75.24% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Boulder, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Boulder, Colorado has 3 other nursing homes
- Foothills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.01 miles away4747 Arapahoe Avenue Boulder Colorado 80303Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 415-7000
- Centura Health-Avista Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.8 miles away100 Health Park Dr Louisville Colorado 80027Voluntary non-profit - Church(303) 673-1280
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.45 miles away200 Exempla Circle Lafayette Colorado 80026Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 689-4000
- Uchealth Broomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.85 miles away11820 Destination Drive Broomfield Colorado 80021Proprietary(303) 460-6000
- St Anthony North Health CampusAcute Care Hospitals 13.29 miles away14300 Orchard Pkwy Broomfield Colorado 80023Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 627-0000
- Longmont United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.81 miles away1950 Mountain View Ave Longmont Colorado 80501Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 651-5111
- North Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.38 miles away9191 Grant St Denver Colorado 80229Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 451-7800
- Lutheran Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.8 miles away8300 W 38th Ave Wheat Ridge Colorado 80033Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 425-4500
- Boulder Dialysis (Dva)2.38 miles away2880 Folsom St Ste 110 Boulder Colorado 80304Dialysis Stations: 14 (303) 440-5600
- Kidney Center of Frederick4.49 miles away5992 Iris Parkway Longmont Colorado 80504Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 833-1381
- Kidney Center of Lafayette (Ara)7.84 miles away2655 Crescent Dr Ste C Lafayette Colorado 80026CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (720) 890-4661
- Kidney Center of Longmont (Ara)11.39 miles away1960 Ken Pratt Blvd Ste A Longmont Colorado 80501Dialysis Stations: 20 (303) 485-7100
- Arvada Dialysis Center (Dva)12.93 miles away9950 W 80th Ave Ste 25 Arvada Colorado 80005Dialysis Stations: 16 (303) 456-9556
- Kidney Center of Northridge (Ara)13.43 miles away1865 W 121st Ave, Ste 300c Denver Colorado 80234Dialysis Stations: 21 (303) 429-9550
- Longmont Dialysis (Dva)13.61 miles away1715 Iron Horse Dr Ste 170 Longmont Colorado 80501Dialysis Stations: 18 (303) 485-4084
- North Metro Denver Dialysis (Dva)13.85 miles away12365 Huron St Ste 500 Denver Colorado 80234Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 451-9093