Boulder Creek Post Acute is a large nursing home located in Poway, California. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a respectable grade. As far as we can see, this place is a good fit for most people. One of the highlights of this facility's profile is its strong nursing rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Boulder Creek Post Acute
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Poway senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main thing salvaging this facility's profile is its elite nursing grade. We gave this facility an A- in that category. Nursing ratings are tied to nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given an impressive score in our long-term care category. We awarded this nursing home a better than average grade of B in that category. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly is often a life threatening health condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Boulder Creek Post Acute?
This facility earned a solid inspection report this year as well, with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that category with a score of B-. We would argue that one of the most important factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Our last area is short-term care, in which we gave this facility a grade of C in that category. Our short-term care grades are likely more important for individuals needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Boulder Creek Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 4.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 1.75% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 0.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients who had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 7.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 13.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients that are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 2.81% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 10.03% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 15.62% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 15.62% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 18.46% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Boulder Creek Post Acute, 87.22% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.27 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 9.2 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 12.21 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 13.72 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 14.06 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.48 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.13 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Fmc-Rancho2.56 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis4.22 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North4.56 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis8.91 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Sanderling Dialysis of Ramona10.02 miles away2102 Main Street Ramona California 92065Dialysis Stations: 12 (844) 375-7365
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center10.23 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Fmc-La Jolla10.42 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego13.4 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882