Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare is a large nursing home located in Richmond, Virginia. We gave this facility an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. Not surprisingly, this is rated as one of the five worst rated nursing homes in Richmond based on the data we assessed. With many other nursing homes in the city, you may simply want to look elsewhere. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Richmond senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. We would argue that one of the most important factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next best score is short-term care, but it nevertheless received a grade of just D in that category. This still happens to be a well below average score. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we size up the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This category is typically a useful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Not surprisingly, we learned that this place provides substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the average nursing home. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare?
We were surprised to find that this nursing home also excelled in the area of nursing. We gave it an D for that category, which is one of our highest scores. In calculating a facility's nursing grade, we look at the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents as well as the levels of training of the nurses. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this place's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was long-term care. Sadly, it received an abysmal F in this category, which is a rock bottom grade. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is often a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the nursing home is not as well-staffed. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 66.003975 percent of its patients, which is somewhat alarming. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 8.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 2.25% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained a UTI. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 15.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 19.63% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 5.07% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 88.92% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 17.15% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 18.14% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 1.38 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 18.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 12.25 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 74.96% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Richmond, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Richmond, Virginia has 4 other nursing homes
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.52 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.42 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.66 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.16 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- Davita - Hioaks Dialysis1.76 miles away671 Hioaks Rd Ste A Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 272-0179
- Livingston Dialysis LLC2.54 miles away4900 Forest Hill Ave Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 230-3594
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC3 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Bma - West End4.48 miles away1501 Santa Rosa Rd Henrico Virginia 23229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (804) 288-5053
- Forest Park Dialysis Center4.65 miles away1603 Santa Rosa Rd Ste 100 Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 288-2751
- Rai - West Leigh-Richmond4.75 miles away800 W Leigh Street Suite B Richmond Virginia 23220CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (804) 649-8070
- Three Chopt Dialysis4.8 miles away8813 Three Chopt Rd Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 282-6791
- Glenside Dialysis5 miles away7001 West Broad Street Suite C Henrico Virginia 23294Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 755-2368