Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare is a large nursing home located in Richmond, Virginia. We gave this facility an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. Not surprisingly, this is rated as one of the five worst rated nursing homes in Richmond based on the data we assessed. With many other nursing homes in the city, you may simply want to look elsewhere. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
7246 Forest Hill Ave,
Richmond VA 23225
70.51% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a poor overall score, we also awarded this nursing home terrible grades in each of the categories. In fact, it only received just a D for its inspections score, which was its best category. One of the most critical factors in assessing inspection reports is deficiencies. We suggest you pay close attention to the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a risk to resident safety or health. Lastly, we need to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received significant government fines amounting to more than $100,000. This typically means that a nursing home's poor performance spanned several years.
Short-term Care Quality
We also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received an F for its short-term care score. Short-term care grades are generally used to measure a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. With a grade in this range for this area, we were not shocked to find this nursing home was below average in several staffing metrics we looked at. The facility provided substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. The last measure we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 5.4 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare?
Unfortunately, we gave this facility an F for its nursing grade. Nursing ratings are mostly tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was long-term care. This facility was given a rock bottom grade of F in this area. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. Unfortunately, this facility vaccinated a relatively low 82.78867 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents which have had falls leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric can also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 3.63% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 91.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bonview Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Richmond, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Richmond, Virginia has 9 other nursing homes
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.52 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.42 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.66 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.16 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- Davita - Hioaks Dialysis1.76 miles away671 Hioaks Rd Ste A Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 272-0179
- Livingston Dialysis LLC2.54 miles away4900 Forest Hill Ave Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 230-3594
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC3 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Bma - West End4.48 miles away1501 Santa Rosa Rd Henrico Virginia 23229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (804) 288-5053
- Forest Park Dialysis Center4.65 miles away1603 Santa Rosa Rd Ste 100 Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 288-2751
- Rai - West Leigh-Richmond4.75 miles away800 W Leigh Street Suite B Richmond Virginia 23220CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (804) 649-8070
- Three Chopt Dialysis4.8 miles away8813 Three Chopt Rd Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 282-6791
- Glenside Dialysis5 miles away7001 West Broad Street Suite C Henrico Virginia 23294Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 755-2368