Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital is in Los Angeles, California, which is among the most densely populated cities in the nation. This is not a bad nursing home with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Los Angeles. At the end of the day, this nursing home ought to be a good fit for quite a few people. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its impressive nursing score, which is addressed in the next section.
Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's best category grade came in nursing. In this area, we gave this nursing home a B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. We looked at the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses worked with patients, in calculating our rating in this category. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving residents more frequently.
This facility also earned a very favorable inspection rating. Its inspection score turned out to be its second best category. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Does this page answer your questions about Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to note that this facility received impressive long-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our better grades in this area, with a grade of B. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 98.73418 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a dangerous health condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility does not take any chances. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is short-term care. It received a lowly F for this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. This is obviously a major disappointment. In computing our short-term care scores, we analyze a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is more often than not a fair measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Based on its score in this category, we weren't stunned to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. Finally, we looked at the number of residents that eventually returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 2.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients who sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bonnie Brae Convalescent Hospital, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.76 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 2.87 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.01 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.0.28 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis0.47 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- u.s. Renal Care Gala Dialysis0.55 miles away1666 W. Third Street Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (213) 989-0247
- u.s. Renal Care Grand Home Program0.6 miles away1145 West 6th Street, Suite 100 Los Angeles California 90017Dialysis Stations: 3 (213) 250-9758
- u.s. Renal Care Los Angeles Dialysis0.63 miles away1125 W. 6th Street, Suite 101 Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (213) 481-3041
- Davita-Wilshire Dialysis Center0.73 miles away1212 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (213) 482-5181
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis1.08 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039
- u.s. Renal Care Grand Avenue Dialysis1.68 miles away1400 S. Grand Avenue, Suite 105 Los Angeles California 90015CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (213) 867-1111