Located in Saint Petersburg, Florida, Boca Ciega Center is one of 27 facilities in the area. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B-, which is a solid score. The facilities in Saint Petersburg received a city grade of B+ so this is not the only reliable option in the city. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection rating, which we will address in the next section.
Boca Ciega Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively insignificant. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
The second highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. Our nursing grade is mostly based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this statistic. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a resident more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Boca Ciega Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed was long-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of B- in this category. In the category of long-term care, we assess the amount of care provided by a nursing home, as opposed to more sophisticated services. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 98.81306 percent of its residents. This facility also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we scored is short-term care. This facility was awarded a C in this category. With our short-term care grade, we seek to craft a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 3.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Boca Ciega Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Boca Ciega Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Boca Ciega Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Boca Ciega Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Boca Ciega Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Boca Ciega Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Boca Ciega Center, 2.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Boca Ciega Center, 94.94% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Boca Ciega Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Boca Ciega Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Boca Ciega Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Boca Ciega Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Boca Ciega Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Boca Ciega Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.5 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.52 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.24 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 4.5 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 4.55 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.02 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.36 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg2.23 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527
- St Petersburg South Dialysis2.33 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- Pinellas West Shore Dialysis2.47 miles away3451 66th Street N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Dialysis Stations: 12 (727) 345-8389
- St Petersburg Kidney Care South2.7 miles away4050 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 867-1279
- St Petersburg Dialysis4.11 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- St Petersburg Kidney Care4.38 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis4.47 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- Fresenius Kidney Care-St Petersburg4.68 miles away446 4th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 896-5500