Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home in Lexington, Kentucky. With an overall score of B, this is a good nursing home. Based on all of the relevant data, you can do much worse than this facility. This place is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Lexington senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this place also earned top notch government inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our better scores in that area, with an A. Inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a grade of A- for our long-term care score. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 85.67073 percent of its patients. This is a bit less than we expected but still a decent figure. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. Our nursing score analyzes the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This figure is far below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is short-term care. We gave this facility a grade of C in this category. In forming our short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 6.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.52% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 3.47% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 11.63% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 17.23% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term patients that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 9.74% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 90.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 17.65% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 14.4% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 14.4% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 17.21% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center, 85.02% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Lexington, KY
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Lexington, Kentucky has 6 other nursing homes
- Saint Joseph EastAcute Care Hospitals 2.2 miles away150 North Eagle Creek Drive Lexington Kentucky 40509Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 967-5000
- Baptist Health LexingtonAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away1740 Nicholasville Road Lexington Kentucky 40503Voluntary non-profit - Other(859) 260-6104
- University of Kentucky HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away800 Rose Street Lexington Kentucky 40536Government - State(859) 257-2278
- Clark Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.14 miles away175 Hospital Drive Winchester Kentucky 40391Proprietary(859) 737-8559
- Bluegrass Community HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 14.57 miles away360 Amsden Avenue Versailles Kentucky 40383Proprietary(859) 873-3111
- Georgetown Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.03 miles away1140 Lexington Road Georgetown Kentucky 40324Proprietary(502) 868-1100
- Baptist Health RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 19.65 miles away801 Eastern Bypass Richmond Kentucky 40475Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 623-3131
- Fmc- Lexington Southwest1.77 miles away978 Chas Drive Lexington Kentucky 40515Dialysis Stations: 17 (859) 260-1706
- Fmc - Nalco Home Program2.04 miles away3284 Eagle View Drive Suite 120 Lexington Kentucky 40509Dialysis Stations: 3 (859) 299-3379
- Fmc- Lexington South Dialysis2.2 miles away171 N Eagle Creek Dr Ste 110 Lexington Kentucky 40509CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (859) 264-7775
- Davita - Kentucky Home Training3.43 miles away2130 Nicholasville Road, Suite 5 Lexington Kentucky 40503Dialysis Stations: 6 (859) 277-9911
- Davita - Hamburg Dialysis3.68 miles away1745 Alysheba Way, Suite 110 Lexington Kentucky 40509CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (859) 543-0084
- Dci - South Lexington3.9 miles away2374 Professional Heights Dr. Lexington Kentucky 40503Dialysis Stations: 23 (859) 967-0400
- Fmc - Kentucky Renal Care Group - Lexington East5.21 miles away1101 Winchester Rd., Suite 100 Lexington Kentucky 40505Dialysis Stations: 16 (859) 225-4922
- Dci - Lexington8.12 miles away100 Venture Court Lexington Kentucky 40511Dialysis Stations: 32 (859) 252-7712