Located in Montgomery, Alabama, Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood is one of eight facilities in this area. With a really poor overall grade of F, this facility didn't fare well in our assessment. This place is really as bad as it gets. If you aren't deterred by this facility's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category scores. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood
- Nursing Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this nursing home a horrible overall score, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid nursing homes that had a long list of severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D for our long-term care score and that actually turned out to be its second most favorable score. Facilities that don't fare well in long-term care often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in a few of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. We were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated 65.408806 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is quite a bit below what we were hoping for. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at is short-term care, in which this nursing home was given an F. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. With a grade of this caliber in this category, we weren't stunned to learn this place was below average in the two key staffing metrics we assess. The nursing home supplied significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most facilities. The last item we considered in this category is the number of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below the national average.
The final category we rated was nursing, where this nursing home was given a rock bottom grade in this area also. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is obviously very concerning. In computing our nursing grades, we factor in both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care residents who suffered falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 3.25% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 19.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 23.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 1.35% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing signs of depression. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 91.96% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 13.45% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 18.12% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 18.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Blue Ridge Healthcare Windwood, 72.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Montgomery, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Montgomery, Alabama has 7 other nursing homes
- Baptist Medical Center SouthAcute Care Hospitals 1.08 miles away2105 East South Boulevard Montgomery Alabama 36116Government - Hospital District or Authority(334) 288-2100
- Jackson Hospital & Clinic IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.59 miles away1725 Pine Street Montgomery Alabama 36106Voluntary non-profit - Private(334) 293-8000
- Baptist Medical Center EastAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away400 Taylor Road Montgomery Alabama 36117Government - Hospital District or Authority(334) 244-8330
- Prattville Baptist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.84 miles away124 S Memorial Dr Prattville Alabama 36067Government - Hospital District or Authority(334) 361-4267
- Elmore Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.8 miles away500 Hospital Drive Wetumpka Alabama 36092Government - State(334) 567-4311
- Farragut Dialysis, Inc0.35 miles away2958 Dorchester Drive Montgomery Alabama 36116CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (334) 280-4980
- Fkc Montgomery1.44 miles away3625 Mcgehee Place Drive North Montgomery Alabama 36111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (334) 286-3766
- Dci Highland Park3.76 miles away1912 Cherry Street Montgomery Alabama 36107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (334) 264-1060
- Davita Majestic Dialysis3.78 miles away1510 Eastern Boulevard Montgomery Alabama 36117Dialysis Stations: 12 (334) 260-8519
- Pcd Montgomery3.78 miles away1001 Forest Avenue Montgomery Alabama 36106CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (334) 269-9416
- Fmc Capitol City4.32 miles away255 S Jackson Street Montgomery Alabama 36104CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (334) 263-1028
- Dci Montgomery4.4 miles away544 South Mcdonough Street Montgomery Alabama 36104CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (334) 265-9190
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama6.68 miles away100 Mitylene Park Ln Montgomery Alabama 36117CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (334) 274-4300