West Hill Health and Rehab is one of nine available facilities in Birmingham, Alabama. This turns out to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. We were pleased to find out that this was in line with the other facilities in Birmingham, which is one of the better cities in Alabama to find a nursing home. This facility's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
West Hill Health and Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Birmingham senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a strong long-term care grade. Indeed, long-term care turned out to be its second most impressive category grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of A. For residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. One of the criteria we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 9.803922 percent of its patients. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about West Hill Health and Rehab?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. While this wasn't quite as good as some of its other category grades, this isn't a bad score either. When determining our nursing grades, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below the national average. Finally, while this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed well in this statistic.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is short-term care. We awarded this facility a solid grade in this area, with a grade of B-. Even though this wasn't as high as several of its other scores, it is still not a terrible score. Our short-term care scores are presumably more important for individuals needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Hill Health and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 9.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 2.75% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 1.6% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients which sustained UTI's. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 17.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 28.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents which are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 0.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 50.14% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 20.73% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 20.91% of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Hill Health and Rehab, 20.91% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 8 other nursing homes
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 5.76 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.11 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 8.96 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.67 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Fmc Fairfield (Steel City)1.15 miles away6508 E. J. Oliver Blvd Fairfield Alabama 35064Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 780-5122
- Ensley Dialysis2.13 miles away2630 Avenue E Birmingham Alabama 35218CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 786-1371
- Steel City Dialysis2.48 miles away1809 Avenue H Birmingham Alabama 35218Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 785-2972
- Fmc Midfield Dialysis3.34 miles away613 Bessemer Super Highway Birmingham Alabama 35228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 481-0019
- Rcg Princeton3.58 miles away708 Cotton Ave Sw Birmingham Alabama 35211CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (205) 785-3500
- Fmc West3.62 miles away633 Lomb Avenue Birmingham Alabama 35211Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 781-2366
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC4.31 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Fmc Forestdale5.56 miles away1004 Forestdale Blvd Birmingham Alabama 35214Dialysis Stations: 14 (205) 798-8321