Blough Health Care Center is a small nursing home located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. This facility received an A- overall, which is one of the most impressive grades that we offer. A grade of this caliber requires top-notch scores across the board. We can't find many negative things to say about this facility. Its grades are impeccable. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Blough Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jul 1, 2020 by Nick Reese
Note: Data for Blough Health Care Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is it received an A+ in our inspections category. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical area. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a very impressive short-term care score. This actually ended up being this facility's second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a score of A-. Our short-term care grade is often employed to grade a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Blough Health Care Center?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A- in our nursing category. Our nursing grade includes quite a few components, however, the primary one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at ended up being this facility's weakest area. However, even in its worst category we still awarded it a respectable grade of B- in long-term care. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Unfortunately, it does not look like this facility submitted information about vaccinations. Lastly, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Blough Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Blough Health Care Center, 88.5% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Blough Health Care Center, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Blough Health Care Center, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Bethlehem, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Bethlehem, Pennsylvania has 6 other nursing homes
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 1.44 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.65 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- St Luke's Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.48 miles away185 Roseberry St Phillipsburg New Jersey 08865Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 847-6700
- St Luke's Quakertown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away1021 Park Avenue Quakertown Pennsylvania 18951Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 538-4500
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.78 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- Davita - St. Luke's Bethlehem1.49 miles away1425 8th Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18018CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (484) 403-4304
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc2.1 miles away1005 Harvard Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Dialysis Stations: 17 (610) 997-8350
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Bethlehem3.48 miles away2014 City Line Road, Suite 102 Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 264-9660
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fogelsville5.25 miles away7310 Tilghman Street, Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18106Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 395-1980
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC5.52 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Whitehall6.12 miles away1320 Mickley Road Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (610) 264-2228
- Davita - St. Luke's Allentown Dialysis6.87 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 435-2590
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC6.87 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 200 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 776-1479