Blaire House of Tewksbury is a large nursing home in Tewksbury, Massachusetts. Sporting an overall score of B, this nursing home is a great option. Based on all of the relevant data, you could do much worse than this facility. We were also pleased to find that this facility didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Blaire House of Tewksbury
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a quality facility overall, this facility especially excelled in our inspections category, where it received an A. Not many facilities fared better in this category. Inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Among its many impressive scores, this facility earned an excellent nursing score. In fact, we gave it an B in that area. Nursing ratings are mostly associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Blaire House of Tewksbury?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third best category is long-term care. We awarded it a B- in this area. This is basically a slightly below average score in this category. Our long-term care ratings are pivotal for prospective residents requiring non-healthcare services such as personal care. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.611115 percent of its patients. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next category, this nursing home was awarded a grade of B- for short-term care, which is generally a respectable score. Short-term care grades are often employed to score a facility's rehabilitation services. To provide highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. It doesn't look like this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last metric we assessed in this area is the number of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Blaire House of Tewksbury Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Closer supervision can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 1.95% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 91.63% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Some argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Many believe that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.78 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 8.94 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.8 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 13.22 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 13.8 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.82 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.27 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell2.08 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford4.69 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis7.82 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home8.65 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley10.08 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Fmc Services of Stoneham10.36 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Woburn Dialysis10.38 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc11.09 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969