Blaire House of Tewksbury is a large nursing home in Tewksbury, Massachusetts. Sporting an overall score of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective patients. Based on our analysis, you could do much worse than this place. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Blaire House of Tewksbury
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Tewksbury senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a strong nursing home is that it earned a very impressive inspection score. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category. In this area, we gave it an A-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Among this facility's other strengths is its elite nursing grade. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A-. Our nursing score is mostly associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Blaire House of Tewksbury?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received a strong short-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that category with a grade of B. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this facility was given a respectable long-term care grade. Even though this was not quite as dominant as some of its other scores, this is truly a middle of the pack score. Long-term care grades are used to score a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a skilled nursing facility. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 96.16368 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Blaire House of Tewksbury Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that sustained falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percentage of long-term residents who experienced UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 2.48% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 91.39% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Blaire House of Tewksbury, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.78 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 8.94 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.8 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 13.22 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 13.8 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.82 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.27 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell2.08 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford4.69 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis7.82 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home8.65 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley10.08 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Fmc Services of Stoneham10.36 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Woburn Dialysis10.38 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc11.09 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969