Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center is a nursing home in Charleston, South Carolina, which has a population of 177,294 people. With an overall grade of A, this facility is among the better facilities in Charleston. This truly is an impressive achievement since the city has plenty of very good facilities. Based on our assessment, you can't go wrong with this nursing home. Finally, this ended up being a very consistent facility with consistent ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1 Bishop Gadsden Way,
Charleston SC 29412
87.8% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in South Carolina Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in South Carolina Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in South Carolina Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. In determining a facility's nursing rating, we assess the number of hours nurses are caring for residents as well as the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its elite resume, this facility also performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Our short-term care grades are likely more important for residents in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional skilled nursing. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also performed well in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Not many facilities received a better grade in this area. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 96.94656 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Finally, this facility has received near flawless government inspections in recent years. We gave them an A- in this category. This is one of the few facilities in the state to receive an A- or better in all four categories. Our inspection ratings are tied to data points located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 9.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 3.18% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 15.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 19.68% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 2.85% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 88.92% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 14.02% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 20.24% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels.
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 1.69 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 20.24 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Health Care Center, 73.11% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Charleston, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Charleston, South Carolina has 5 other nursing homes
- Roper HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away316 Calhoun St Charleston South Carolina 29401Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 724-2800
- Musc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.94 miles away169 Ashley Ave Charleston South Carolina 29425Government - State(843) 792-2300
- Bon Secours-St Francis Xavier HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away2095 Henry Tecklenburg Drive Charleston South Carolina 29414Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 402-1006
- East Cooper Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.6 miles away2000 Hospital Dr Mount Pleasant South Carolina 29464Proprietary(843) 881-0100
- Mount Pleasant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.94 miles away3510 Highway 17 North Suite 140 Mount Pleasant South Carolina 29466Voluntary non-profit - Private(843) 724-2954
- Trident Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.35 miles away9330 Medical Plaza Dr Charleston South Carolina 29406Proprietary(843) 847-4100
- Dci James Island0.48 miles away959 Folly Road Charleston South Carolina 29412Dialysis Stations: 16 (843) 795-8386
- Dci West Ashley3.73 miles away46 B Markfield Road Charleston South Carolina 29407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (843) 766-2317
- Coast Dialysis, LLC5.71 miles away1964 Ashley River Road Suite D-2 Charleston South Carolina 29407Dialysis Stations: 4 (843) 573-8767
- Pointe Dialysis, LLC5.71 miles away1964 Ashley River Road Suite D-3 Charleston South Carolina 29407Dialysis Stations: 20 (843) 852-3537
- Dci Magnolia Court5.81 miles away1427 King Street Charleston South Carolina 29403Dialysis Stations: 17 (843) 853-3399
- Nkc Charleston, LLC6.33 miles away2270 Ashley Crossing Suite 130a Charleston South Carolina 29414Dialysis Stations: 4 (843) 231-3660
- Rai Care Centers Charleston6.77 miles away2080 Charlie Hall Blvd Charleston South Carolina 29414CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (843) 766-4655
- Faber Place Dialysis8.35 miles away3801 Faber Place Drive North Charleston South Carolina 29405CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (843) 377-1566