Birchwood Care Center is a small nursing home in Hamilton, Ohio. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A grade of this caliber requires some respectable marks. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Hamilton. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its stellar inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Birchwood Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection score. Its inspection grade was far better than its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave this facility an A. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more impressive category scores was in the area of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B+. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 96.039604 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Birchwood Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given its third most favorable category grade in the category of short-term care. We awarded this facility a C in this area, which is a decent grade. Our short-term care grades are believed to be more important for individuals needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually requires additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
The final category we rated was nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is a poor score. This is obviously a significant disappointment. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Birchwood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Birchwood Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Birchwood Care Center, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often the result of poor nursing care. More supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Birchwood Care Center, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Birchwood Care Center, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Birchwood Care Center, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Birchwood Care Center, 20% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Birchwood Care Center, 90.19% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Birchwood Care Center, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Birchwood Care Center, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Some argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Birchwood Care Center, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Birchwood Care Center, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Birchwood Care Center, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Hamilton, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hamilton, Ohio has 11 other nursing homes
- Mercy Health - Fairfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away3000 Mack Road Fairfield Ohio 45014Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 870-7197
- Fort Hamilton Hughes Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away630 Eaton Avenue Hamilton Ohio 45013Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 867-2000
- West Chester Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away7700 University Drive West Chester Ohio 45069Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 298-7700
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 8.9 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 11.26 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- Mercy Health - West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.85 miles away3300 Mercy Health Blvd Cincinnati Ohio 45211Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 215-5000
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 16.31 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.46 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Davita - Fairfield Dialysis3.63 miles away1210 Hicks Blvd Fairfield Ohio 45014Dialysis Stations: 14 (513) 939-1110
- Fmc - Butler County LLC3.65 miles away4750 Dixie Hwy Fairfield Ohio 45014CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (513) 863-6882
- Fmc - Butler County LLC4.49 miles away3090 Mcbride Court, Ste. A Hamilton Ohio 45011Dialysis Stations: 20 (513) 895-7300
- Davita - West Hamilton Dialysis5.19 miles away1532 Main Street Hamilton Ohio 45013Dialysis Stations: 17 (513) 737-0158
- Davita - Ross Dialysis5.3 miles awayOne Lane Place 3825 Kraus Land Suite S Fairfield Ohio 45014Dialysis Stations: 13 (513) 738-0276
- Davita - Forest Fair6.19 miles away1145 Kemper Meadow Drive 45240 Cincinnati Ohio 45231CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 674-1691
- Dci - Forest Park6.25 miles away1075 Kemper Meadow Dr Cincinnati Ohio 45240Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 522-6200
- Dci - Westchester6.27 miles away7650 Wellness Way West Chester Ohio 45069Dialysis Stations: 14 (513) 777-0855