Birchwood Care Center is a small nursing home in Hamilton, Ohio. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires solid marks in most areas. We found this nursing home to be better than most of the nursing homes in Hamilton, which has a city grade of B-. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Birchwood Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Inspection ratings account for several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this area typically have few severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's above average category grades came in the category of long-term care. We awarded them one of our higher scores in that area, with a score of B+. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the criteria we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 93.023254 percent of its residents. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Birchwood Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third best category was short-term care. We awarded it a B- in this category. This is essentially a slightly below average score in this area. Our short-term care scores are important for prospective residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not look like this facility submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final measure we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
The final category we assessed is nursing. This facility received a C for this area. Nursing ratings are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did very well in this metric. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning residents more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Birchwood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Birchwood Care Center, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Birchwood Care Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients that experienced falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Birchwood Care Center, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents which had a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Birchwood Care Center, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Birchwood Care Center, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Birchwood Care Center, 20.26% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Birchwood Care Center, 90.12% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Birchwood Care Center, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Birchwood Care Center, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Birchwood Care Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Birchwood Care Center, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Birchwood Care Center, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Hamilton, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hamilton, Ohio has 11 other nursing homes
- Mercy Health - Fairfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away3000 Mack Road Fairfield Ohio 45014Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 870-7197
- Fort Hamilton Hughes Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away630 Eaton Avenue Hamilton Ohio 45013Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 867-2000
- West Chester Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away7700 University Drive West Chester Ohio 45069Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 298-7700
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 8.9 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 11.26 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- Mercy Health - West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.85 miles away3300 Mercy Health Blvd Cincinnati Ohio 45211Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 215-5000
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 16.31 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.46 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Davita - Fairfield Dialysis3.63 miles away1210 Hicks Blvd Fairfield Ohio 45014Dialysis Stations: 14 (513) 939-1110
- Fmc - Butler County LLC3.65 miles away4750 Dixie Hwy Fairfield Ohio 45014CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (513) 863-6882
- Fmc - Butler County LLC4.49 miles away3090 Mcbride Court, Ste. A Hamilton Ohio 45011Dialysis Stations: 20 (513) 895-7300
- Davita - West Hamilton Dialysis5.19 miles away1532 Main Street Hamilton Ohio 45013Dialysis Stations: 17 (513) 737-0158
- Davita - Ross Dialysis5.3 miles awayOne Lane Place 3825 Kraus Land Suite S Fairfield Ohio 45014Dialysis Stations: 13 (513) 738-0276
- Davita - Forest Fair6.19 miles away1145 Kemper Meadow Drive 45240 Cincinnati Ohio 45231CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 674-1691
- Dci - Forest Park6.25 miles away1075 Kemper Meadow Dr Cincinnati Ohio 45240Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 522-6200
- Dci - Westchester6.27 miles away7650 Wellness Way West Chester Ohio 45069Dialysis Stations: 14 (513) 777-0855