Birchwood Care Center is a small nursing home in Hamilton, Ohio. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires solid marks in most areas. The facilities in Hamilton received high grades across the board with a B+ city grade, making this one of the better places in Ohio to find a nursing home. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Birchwood Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Hamilton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to performing well in its overall score, this facility earned even higher grades in the area of long-term care. It received one of our best grades in that category with an A. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 55.303032 percent of its patients, which is a few points lower than we anticipated. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to another one of this nursing home's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection score. In fact, inspections proved to be one of its best category grades. In that area, we gave this nursing home an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. This nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Birchwood Care Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. This wasn't quite on par with some of its other category grades mentioned above. The nursing grade includes many factors, but the primary one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed is short-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in that area. This is a decent grade in this category. Our short-term care ratings are likely most important for individuals needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Birchwood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Birchwood Care Center, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Birchwood Care Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents who experienced falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Birchwood Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who sustained urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Birchwood Care Center, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Birchwood Care Center, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Birchwood Care Center, 21.39% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Birchwood Care Center, 88.91% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Birchwood Care Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Birchwood Care Center, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Birchwood Care Center, 1.43 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Birchwood Care Center, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Hamilton, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Hamilton, Ohio has 6 other nursing homes
- Mercy Health - Fairfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away3000 Mack Road Fairfield Ohio 45014Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 870-7197
- Fort Hamilton Hughes Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away630 Eaton Avenue Hamilton Ohio 45013Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 867-2000
- West Chester Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away7700 University Drive West Chester Ohio 45069Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 298-7700
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 8.9 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 11.26 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- Mercy Health - West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.85 miles away3300 Mercy Health Blvd Cincinnati Ohio 45211Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 215-5000
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 16.31 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.46 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Davita - Fairfield Dialysis3.63 miles away1210 Hicks Blvd Fairfield Ohio 45014Dialysis Stations: 14 (513) 939-1110
- Fmc - Butler County LLC3.65 miles away4750 Dixie Hwy Fairfield Ohio 45014CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (513) 863-6882
- Fmc - Butler County LLC4.49 miles away3090 Mcbride Court, Ste. A Hamilton Ohio 45011Dialysis Stations: 20 (513) 895-7300
- Davita - West Hamilton Dialysis5.19 miles away1532 Main Street Hamilton Ohio 45013Dialysis Stations: 17 (513) 737-0158
- Davita - Ross Dialysis5.3 miles awayOne Lane Place 3825 Kraus Land Suite S Fairfield Ohio 45014Dialysis Stations: 13 (513) 738-0276
- Davita - Forest Fair6.19 miles away1145 Kemper Meadow Drive 45240 Cincinnati Ohio 45231CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 674-1691
- Dci - Forest Park6.25 miles away1075 Kemper Meadow Dr Cincinnati Ohio 45240Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 522-6200
- Dci - Westchester6.27 miles away7650 Wellness Way West Chester Ohio 45069Dialysis Stations: 14 (513) 777-0855