Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor is a facility in Sykesville, Maryland. This city has a population of 37,941 people. This nursing home received an F, which is definitely concerning in our grading scheme. Based on our ratings, this facility probably isn't a good fit for any prospective resident. Lastly, this facility had an ownership change in the last year. Hopefully, new ownership is able to elevate its quality standards.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on Sykesville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Neither this nursing home's overall score nor its category scores gave us anything to write home about. This place's best category is nursing, but even there it received just a D. This is still a subpar grade. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses were with residents, in computing our score in this area. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is slightly below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second most respectable category is long-term care, but even there it received a grade of just D in that category. This is still a well below average grade. Facilities that don't fare well in long-term care often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 91.5625 percent of its residents. This is somewhat below what we were hoping for but still a decent percentage. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor?
Sadly, this facility received a grade of just D in our inspection category. This is well below average grade. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 3 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a very poor grade in this area also. It received an abysmal F for this category, which is obviously a major concern. Our short-term care scores are thought to be most important for individuals requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Considering its score in this category, we were not stunned to find that this nursing home was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the figures we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. The final measure we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.9 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 15.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 1.3% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 12.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 14.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care patients that are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 5.36% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Some argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 94.52% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 21.05% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 22.5% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility.
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 22.5% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 9.36% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 73.35% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.04 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Carroll Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.68 miles away200 Memorial Avenue Westminster Maryland 21157Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 848-3000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.09 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 16.43 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.33 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.05 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.28 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Davita - Owings Mills8.62 miles away11221 Dolfield Blvd Owings Mills Maryland 21117Dialysis Stations: 25 (410) 363-2019
- Fresenius Medical Care Randallstown LLC9.12 miles away9109 Liberty Rd Randallstown Maryland 21133Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 655-1076
- Baltimore County Dialysis Facility9.3 miles away3689 a Offutt Road Randallstown Maryland 21133CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (410) 922-2475
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC9.84 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC9.87 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426
- Davita Ridge Road Dialysis10 miles away530 E Ridgeville Blvd Mount Airy Maryland 21771Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 829-5162
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis11.05 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Kidney Home Center11.69 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618