Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor is a facility in Sykesville, Maryland. This city has a population of 37,941 people. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of D. A grade of this caliber generally suggests a few concerning datapoints. Keep in mind that Sykesville received a city grade of B-, so should consider other options in the city as well. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong nursing rating. You can scroll down to find out about nursing and other category grades
Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this facility a good overall grade, we actually gave it a very strong grade in the area of nursing, where it received a B. The nursing score includes quite a few subcategories, many of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a decent score in the area of long-term care, where it received a grade of B-. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility vaccinated 95.76923 percent of its residents, which is a very solid total. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility only earned a grade of D for its short-term care grade, which is not a very good score. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this facility provides substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. The last metric we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 3.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics doomed this nursing home's short-term care grade.
Turning the final category of inspections, this facility had an abysmal showing. Sadly, it received an F in our inspection category. With places that received this poor of an inspection score, we recommend scrutinizing the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This nursing home had 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 3 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used to treat several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 10.18% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 92.14% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that mobility is important for patients physical and mental well-being.
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Birch Manor, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Sykesville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Sykesville, Maryland has 3 other nursing homes
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.04 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Carroll Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.68 miles away200 Memorial Avenue Westminster Maryland 21157Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 848-3000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.09 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 16.43 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.33 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.05 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.28 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Davita - Owings Mills8.62 miles away11221 Dolfield Blvd Owings Mills Maryland 21117Dialysis Stations: 25 (410) 363-2019
- Fresenius Medical Care Randallstown LLC9.12 miles away9109 Liberty Rd Randallstown Maryland 21133Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 655-1076
- Baltimore County Dialysis Facility9.3 miles away3689 a Offutt Road Randallstown Maryland 21133CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (410) 922-2475
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC9.84 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC9.87 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426
- Davita Ridge Road Dialysis10 miles away530 E Ridgeville Blvd Mount Airy Maryland 21771Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 829-5162
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis11.05 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Kidney Home Center11.69 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618