Birch Manor Healthcare Center is a facility in Sykesville, Maryland. This city has a population of 37,941 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road score. You can definitely do worse than this facility. The best part of this nursing home's report card is is its nursing score. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Birch Manor Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to having a decent overall score, we also wanted to point out that this facility received favorable nursing marks this year. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's top grade. In computing a nursing home's nursing score, we weigh the amount of time nurses commit to patients as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more favorable category grades was in the category of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 95.6 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Birch Manor Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded its third most favorable category score in the area of short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of C in this area, which is an acceptable grade. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below the national average.
The final category we looked at was inspections. Unfortunately, this ended up being this nursing home's weakest link. We gave it a grade of just D in this category. Since this information is compiled by independent government inspectors, we weight it heavily in our grading. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home was hit with 6 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility also received a substantiated complaint in the last few years. There seem to be no shortage of reasons to pass on this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Birch Manor Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents who suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have had a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients which were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 10.05% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 92.62% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Birch Manor Healthcare Center, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Sykesville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Sykesville, Maryland has 3 other nursing homes
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.04 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Carroll Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.68 miles away200 Memorial Avenue Westminster Maryland 21157Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 848-3000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.09 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 16.43 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.33 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.05 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.28 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Davita - Owings Mills8.62 miles away11221 Dolfield Blvd Owings Mills Maryland 21117Dialysis Stations: 25 (410) 363-2019
- Fresenius Medical Care Randallstown LLC9.12 miles away9109 Liberty Rd Randallstown Maryland 21133Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 655-1076
- Baltimore County Dialysis Facility9.3 miles away3689 a Offutt Road Randallstown Maryland 21133CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (410) 922-2475
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC9.84 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC9.87 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426
- Davita Ridge Road Dialysis10 miles away530 E Ridgeville Blvd Mount Airy Maryland 21771Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 829-5162
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis11.05 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Kidney Home Center11.69 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618