Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center is one of only two available facilities located in Valley Park, Missouri. With an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. This facility is about as bad as it gets. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Valley Park senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We just could not find anything good to say about this place. It received just a D in long-term care. Nursing homes that don't fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 44.478523 percent of its patients. This is quite a bit less than the national average. Surprisingly, this place actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we gave this nursing home an F. The nursing score weighs several subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day, this place's nurse staffing levels were significantly below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center?
Among this nursing home's worst category grades was a lowly F for its inspection score. Generally, this means we found some red flags on the facility's government inspections. For places that received this poor of an inspection grade, we recommend scrutinizing any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular nursing home had 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines of more than $100,000. This typically suggests that a poor performance spanned multiple years.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is short-term care. It received an abysmal F for this category, which is a bottom of the barrel score. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Considering its score in this category, we were not stunned to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 9.2% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients who have suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 3.29% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 20.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 5.4% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 86.07% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 15.8% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 13.34% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 13.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 13.27 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Big Bend Woods Healthcare Center, 71.67% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 2.2 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 6.91 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 13.56 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Fenton Dialysis Center1.9 miles away850 Horan Dr. Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 305-1144
- Bowles Avenue Dialysis2.5 miles away1011 Bowles Avenue Suite 210 Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 326-7130
- Nxstage St Louis, LLC3.59 miles away1076 Old Des Peres Road Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 9 (314) 925-2522
- Town and Country West Dialysis5.74 miles away12855 N 40 Drive Suite l4 Saint Louis Missouri 63141Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 542-0049
- Ellisville Dialysis Center5.86 miles away257 Clarkson Road Ballwin Missouri 63011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 207-7401
- Crestwood Dialysis5.9 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322
- Frontenac Home Dialysis Center6.73 miles away10435 Clayton Rd Suite 201 Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 6 (314) 567-0645
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis7.06 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979