Bethesda Southgate is a large non-profit nursing home in Saint Louis, Missouri. We awarded this facility an overall grade of A- which is world class overall score. This ended up being quite a bit better than many of the facilities in Saint Louis. Saint Louis offers a double digit count of nursing homes, but we doubt you will need to check out too many others. This one is a first class option. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home has received excellent health inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this area. Inspection grades account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category typically have few severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also excelled in the area of short-term care, where it received a score of A-. Only a select group of nursing homes performed better in this area. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we size up the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This area is considered to be a reliable measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethesda Southgate?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A- in our nursing category. There are a host of datapoints included in this area. Many of these datapoints relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final category, this facility also performed well in our long-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that area. This rounded out a straight A report card. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are kept in good health. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 64.85355 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be a bit below what we anticipated but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethesda Southgate Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethesda Southgate, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay residents which suffered from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethesda Southgate, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients who have had falls leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethesda Southgate, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that experienced urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethesda Southgate, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethesda Southgate, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients which are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethesda Southgate, 4.11% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethesda Southgate, 88.89% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethesda Southgate, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethesda Southgate, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Some argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Bethesda Southgate, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethesda Southgate, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethesda Southgate, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethesda Southgate, 72.5% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.54 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.39 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.81 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 13.24 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.17 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Home Dialysis South3.13 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- South County Dialysis Center3.6 miles away4145 Union Road Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 894-1851
- Fmc - Arnold4.18 miles away2194 Michigan Ave Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 287-1160
- South Towne Square Dialysis Clinic4.28 miles away11107 South Towne Square Saint Louis Missouri 63123CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (314) 894-3400
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis4.56 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis4.95 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Arnold Dialysis5.3 miles away102 Richardson Xing Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 8 (636) 467-5619
- Crestwood Dialysis7.81 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322