Bethesda Southgate is a large non-profit nursing home in Saint Louis, Missouri. We awarded this facility an overall grade of A+ which is world class overall score. This ended up being quite a bit better than many of the facilities in Saint Louis. Saint Louis offers a double digit count of nursing homes, but we doubt you will need to check out too many others. This one is a first class option. Headlining this nursing home's exemplary profile is its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Saint Louis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home also excelled in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Few places fared as well in this category. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, this turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethesda Southgate?
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to point out the fact that this nursing home received an impressive score of A in our long-term care category. Facilities that receive this type of score in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 73.655914 percent of its patients. This is somewhat less than we expected but still a respectable percentage. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next category, this nursing home also performed admirably in our short-term care category. In fact, we gave it an A for that category. This completed a straight A report card. In determining our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is more often than not a solid measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethesda Southgate Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethesda Southgate, 9.2% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethesda Southgate, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who have experienced a fall leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethesda Southgate, 3.29% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethesda Southgate, 20.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethesda Southgate, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients which are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethesda Southgate, 5.4% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethesda Southgate, 86.07% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethesda Southgate, 15.8% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethesda Southgate, 13.34% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Some argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Bethesda Southgate, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethesda Southgate, 13.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethesda Southgate, 13.27 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethesda Southgate, 71.67% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 22 other nursing homes
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.54 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.39 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.81 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 13.24 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.17 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Home Dialysis South3.13 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- South County Dialysis Center3.6 miles away4145 Union Road Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 894-1851
- Fmc - Arnold4.18 miles away2194 Michigan Ave Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 287-1160
- South Towne Square Dialysis Clinic4.28 miles away11107 South Towne Square Saint Louis Missouri 63123CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (314) 894-3400
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis4.56 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis4.95 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Arnold Dialysis5.3 miles away102 Richardson Xing Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 8 (636) 467-5619
- Crestwood Dialysis7.81 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322