Bethesda Southgate is a large non-profit nursing home in Saint Louis, Missouri. We awarded this facility an overall grade of A which is world class overall score. This ended up being quite a bit better than many of the facilities in Saint Louis. Saint Louis offers a double digit count of nursing homes, but we doubt you will need to check out too many others. This one is a first class option. Headlining this nursing home's exemplary profile is its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home has received excellent health inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this area. Inspection grades account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category typically have few severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also excelled in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of A. Only a select group of nursing homes performed better in this area. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 70 percent of its patients. This is slightly lower than we anticipated but still a respectable figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethesda Southgate?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. The nursing score assesses several datapoints, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the final category, this nursing home received an excellent short-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category, giving this facility straight A's. Our short-term care grades are likely most important for folks requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes more skilled nursing. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethesda Southgate Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethesda Southgate, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethesda Southgate, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethesda Southgate, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that had a UTI. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethesda Southgate, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethesda Southgate, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethesda Southgate, 4.19% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethesda Southgate, 88.53% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethesda Southgate, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethesda Southgate, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Bethesda Southgate, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethesda Southgate, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethesda Southgate, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethesda Southgate, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.54 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.39 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.81 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 13.24 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.17 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Home Dialysis South3.13 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- South County Dialysis Center3.6 miles away4145 Union Road Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 894-1851
- Fmc - Arnold4.18 miles away2194 Michigan Ave Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 287-1160
- South Towne Square Dialysis Clinic4.28 miles away11107 South Towne Square Saint Louis Missouri 63123CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (314) 894-3400
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis4.56 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis4.95 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Arnold Dialysis5.3 miles away102 Richardson Xing Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 8 (636) 467-5619
- Crestwood Dialysis7.81 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322