Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care is in Chicago, Illinois, which has more than 25 nursing homes. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a well below average facility. This wasn't the worse facility we looked at, but we'd still be very reluctant to recommend it. If you aren't deterred by this facility's report card, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2833 North Nordica Avenue,
Chicago IL 60634
76.25% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Although this place's overall score was not a highlight, it did receive a very good grade in the category of inspections. We awarded it a B+ for that category, which is one of our better grades. Inspection ratings are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes with severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B-. We analyzed the levels of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the number of hours those nurses were with patients, in determining our grade in this area. This place provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat alarming figure as it is well below the national average. Finally, nursing scores also factor in quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility only received a D for its short-term care score, which is well below average in this category. Our short-term care ratings are arguably most meaningful for patients needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Considering its score in this category, we were not surprised to find that this nursing home is well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the measures we assessed. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics was damning for this nursing home's short-term care score.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next area, we awarded this nursing home a D in our long-term care category. This is the nursing home's worst category rating. When facilities receive this kind of score in long-term care it is often a bad sign for resident care and it may indicate that the place is not as well-staffed. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility gave the vaccine to just 83.39921 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this metric can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients which are given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 30.45% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 87.4% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts argue that mobility is vital to residents' health.
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.01 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- West Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away3 Erie Court Oak Park Illinois 60302Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 383-6200
- Westlake HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away1225 Lake St Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 938-4000
- Rush Oak Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away520 S Maple Ave Oak Park Illinois 60304Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 383-9300
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.92 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Loretto HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away645 South Central Ave Chicago Illinois 60644Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 626-4300
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Davita Brickyard Dialysis0.9 miles away2640 N. Narragansett Ave. Suite d8 Chicago Illinois 60639Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 622-6345
- Davita - Montclare Dialysis1.76 miles away7009 W Belmont Avenue Chicago Illinois 60634CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 889-6051
- Fmc - West Belmont2.7 miles away4943 W Belmont Ave. Chicago Illinois 60641CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (773) 685-7500
- Fmc - Norridge2.81 miles away4701 North Cumberland Avenue, Ste 15/18a Harwood Heights Illinois 60706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 456-0152
- Fmc - River Forest Dialysis3.11 miles away103 Forest Avenue River Forest Illinois 60305CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 488-9258
- Fmc - West Suburban Dialysis Center3.21 miles away518 N Austin Suite 5000 Oak Park Illinois 60302CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (708) 386-5550
- Fmc - North Avenue Dialysis Center3.38 miles away911 W. North Avenue Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (708) 344-6122
- Fmc - Neomedica - Melrose Park3.58 miles away1111 Superior St Ste 204 Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 338-1780