Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care is in Chicago, Illinois, which has more than 25 nursing homes. Our rating system was not kind to this facility, as we gave it an overall score of F. This facility is just about as bad as it gets. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is addressed in the next section.
Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection ratings are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
We were also surprised to find that this facility received a decent nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of B- in that category. Nursing scores are largely based on a facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's third highest category was short-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this area, it still performed relatively badly. In determining our short-term care grades, we size up the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is more often than not a fair measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Given its grade in this category, we weren't stunned to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the data we assessed. The final metric we assessed in this area is the number of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was long-term care. This facility was given a rock bottom grade of F in that category. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in this category it is often a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. We were concerned by the fact that this facility vaccinated just 86.938774 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who had falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic could also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 29.8% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 87.49% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethesda Rehab & Senior Care, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.01 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- West Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away3 Erie Court Oak Park Illinois 60302Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 383-6200
- Westlake HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away1225 Lake St Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 938-4000
- Rush Oak Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away520 S Maple Ave Oak Park Illinois 60304Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 383-9300
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.92 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Loretto HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away645 South Central Ave Chicago Illinois 60644Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 626-4300
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Davita Brickyard Dialysis0.9 miles away2640 N. Narragansett Ave. Suite d8 Chicago Illinois 60639Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 622-6345
- Davita - Montclare Dialysis1.76 miles away7009 W Belmont Avenue Chicago Illinois 60634CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 889-6051
- Fmc - West Belmont2.7 miles away4943 W Belmont Ave. Chicago Illinois 60641CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (773) 685-7500
- Fmc - Norridge2.81 miles away4701 North Cumberland Avenue, Ste 15/18a Harwood Heights Illinois 60706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 456-0152
- Fmc - River Forest Dialysis3.11 miles away103 Forest Avenue River Forest Illinois 60305CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 488-9258
- Fmc - West Suburban Dialysis Center3.21 miles away518 N Austin Suite 5000 Oak Park Illinois 60302CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (708) 386-5550
- Fmc - North Avenue Dialysis Center3.38 miles away911 W. North Avenue Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (708) 344-6122
- Fmc - Neomedica - Melrose Park3.58 miles away1111 Superior St Ste 204 Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 338-1780