Bethesda Home is a senior living facility located in Hayward, California, a city with a total of 177,085 people. This facility received an A- overall, which is an elite score. Despite Hayward offering 16 other nursing homes to choose from, this nursing home stood out as a superb option. As you will find below, this facility also performed just fine in our category ratings. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home also fared well in long-term care, where it earned an A+. Few facilities performed better in this category. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 98.46154 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia tragically can be a dangerous condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Surprisingly, this nursing home was hit with a category L deficiency, which was unexpected based on its inspection rating. This category means inspectors uncovered a widespread deficiency placing resident health or safety in imminent jeopardy. In spite of this major red flag, other aspects of this facility's inspection report gave us some hope.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethesda Home?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. When determining a facility's nursing grade, we assess the amount of time nurses are with patients as well as the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was this nursing home's weakest area. Nevertheless, even its lowest point would actually be a highlight for most nursing homes. We gave it a strong grade of B in short-term care. Our short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this category is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethesda Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethesda Home, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethesda Home, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethesda Home, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethesda Home, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care residents that are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethesda Home, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethesda Home, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethesda Home, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethesda Home, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethesda Home, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Bethesda Home, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethesda Home, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 15 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.74 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.94 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 10.54 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.09 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Stanford Health Care - ValleycareAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away5555 West Las Positas Boulevard Pleasanton California 94588Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 447-7000
- South Hayward Dialysis Center0.85 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Hayward Dialysis Center1.69 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis2.66 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis2.89 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Hayward3.98 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro4.94 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center4.96 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro5.43 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011