Bethesda Home is a senior living facility located in Hayward, California, a city with a total of 177,085 people. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B+, which is a strong score. In our view, this nursing home is a solid choice for most people. As you can see below, this facility also performed well in our category grades. It is hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Hayward senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of being a quality facility overall, this nursing home really fared well in long-term care, where it received a grade of A-. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 98.65772 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
This nursing home also performed well in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best scores in that category with an A-. Few facilities with an overall score in this range performed this well in multiple categories. Inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. Surprisingly, this nursing home was hit with a category L deficiency, which was unexpected based on its inspection rating. This category of deficiency means inspectors found a widespread deficiency putting patient safety or health in immediate danger. Even a single serious deficiency of this nature should be taken seriously. In spite of this major red flag, other aspects of this facility's inspection report gave us some hope.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethesda Home?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Our nursing grade weighs numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the quantity of hours nurses spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was short-term care, in which this nursing home received a grade of B. This facility did not end up having any weak links. In computing our short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The final measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethesda Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethesda Home, 12.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethesda Home, 2.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who had a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethesda Home, 1.38% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethesda Home, 16.55% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethesda Home, 3.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethesda Home, 0% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethesda Home, 99.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethesda Home, 14.85% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethesda Home, 12.95% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethesda Home, 12.95% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 5 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.74 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.94 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 10.54 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.09 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Stanford Health Care - ValleycareAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away5555 West Las Positas Boulevard Pleasanton California 94588Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 447-7000
- South Hayward Dialysis Center0.85 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Hayward Dialysis Center1.69 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis2.66 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis2.89 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Hayward3.98 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro4.94 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center4.96 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro5.43 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011