Bethesda Home is a senior living facility located in Hayward, California, a city with a total of 177,085 people. This facility received an A- overall, which is an elite score. Despite Hayward offering 16 other nursing homes to choose from, this nursing home stood out as a superb option. As you will find below, this facility also performed just fine in our category ratings. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
22427 Montgomery Street,
Hayward CA 94541
97.5% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an A in our long-term care category. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 97.88732 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly is often a life or death health condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In addition, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless government inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that area with an A-. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Surprisingly, this nursing home was hit with a category L deficiency, which was not what we expected based on its inspection score. This is the worst possible category of deficiencies. This category means the government inspectors identified a widespread deficiency placing resident safety or health in imminent danger. In spite of this major red flag, other aspects of this facility's inspection report gave us some hope.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethesda Home?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score consists of quite a few factors, however, the main one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of B. Even though this proved to be its poorest category rating, this is still a favorable score. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. It does not appear that this nursing home provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethesda Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethesda Home, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethesda Home, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethesda Home, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethesda Home, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethesda Home, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethesda Home, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethesda Home, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethesda Home, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethesda Home, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethesda Home, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 15 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.74 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.94 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 10.54 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.09 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Stanford Health Care - ValleycareAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away5555 West Las Positas Boulevard Pleasanton California 94588Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 447-7000
- South Hayward Dialysis Center0.85 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Hayward Dialysis Center1.69 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis2.66 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis2.89 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Hayward3.98 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro4.94 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center4.96 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro5.43 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011