Sterling Care Bethesda is a large facility in Bethesda, Maryland. With an overall score of B-, this is a solid nursing home. Based on our ratings, there are certainly much worse nursing homes out there. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Sterling Care Bethesda
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Sterling Care Bethesda has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on Bethesda senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection score. Its inspection score was far superior to its overall score. In our inspections category, we gave it an A-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+ in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Sterling Care Bethesda?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best area was short-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is essentially a middle of the road grade in this category. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care. We gave it a grade of C in this category. This is a decent grade in this area. Our long-term care scores are more critical for those requiring more traditional assistance related to personal care. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 97.03833 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sterling Care Bethesda Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 6.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 2.09% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who suffered a fall leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 0.88% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 9.43% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 5.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 0.73% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 97.15% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 19.66% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 14.97% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 14.97% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 11.21% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 66.52% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.79 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 1.88 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.04 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.92 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 8.54 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Bma - Bethesda0.96 miles away6420 Rockledge Dr Ste 1100 Bethesda Maryland 20817Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 652-2554
- Us Renal Care - Rockville2.21 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Bma - Wheaton3.68 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Holy Cross Hospital4.25 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.4 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC5.06 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090
- Us Renal Care Bethesda Dialysis5.15 miles away4701 Sangamore Rd Suite p017 Bethesda Maryland 20816Dialysis Stations: 10 (870) 931-5400
- Davita - Silver Spring5.23 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961