Sterling Care Bethesda is a large facility in Bethesda, Maryland. With an overall score of B-, this is a solid nursing home. Based on our ratings, there are certainly much worse nursing homes out there. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Sterling Care Bethesda
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection score. Its inspection score was far superior to its overall score. In our inspections category, we gave it an A-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Sterling Care Bethesda?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best area was long-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is essentially a middle of the road grade in this category. If you are looking for anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to find that this nursing home vaccinated 98.7013 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Our final area is short-term care, in which we awarded this nursing home a C in this area. In calculating our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. This area is generally a useful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 5.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sterling Care Bethesda Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which have suffered from a UTI. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 10.05% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 92.62% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sterling Care Bethesda, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Bethesda, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bethesda, Maryland has 3 other nursing homes
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.79 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 1.88 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.04 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.92 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 8.54 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Bma - Bethesda0.96 miles away6420 Rockledge Dr Ste 1100 Bethesda Maryland 20817Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 652-2554
- Us Renal Care - Rockville2.21 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Bma - Wheaton3.68 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Holy Cross Hospital4.25 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.4 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC5.06 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090
- Us Renal Care Bethesda Dialysis5.15 miles away4701 Sangamore Rd Suite p017 Bethesda Maryland 20816Dialysis Stations: 10 (870) 931-5400
- Davita - Silver Spring5.23 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961