Bethel Nursing Home Company is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Ossining, New York. Sporting an overall grade of B-, this is a respectable nursing home. You could definitely do worse than this nursing home. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its exemplary inspection rating, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bethel Nursing Home Company
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Ossining senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its inspection grade. This grade is far better than the facility's overall rating. Our inspection scores are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also received a strong short-term care score. Indeed, we awarded them a B in this category, which happens to be one of our more favorable scores. In calculating our short-term care grades, we size up the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This category is generally a fair assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethel Nursing Home Company?
Long-term Care Quality
The next highest area we gave this facility in any area came in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. Long-term care grades focus on a facility's personal care rather than the skilled therapy or medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 98.96907 percent of its residents. This nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning to the next category, we awarded this nursing home a D for nursing. This is the facility's least impressive category score. Unfortunately, this category hurt the nursing home's overall grade to some degree. When determining our nursing ratings, we look at both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This particular nursing home averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This statistic is far below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethel Nursing Home Company Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 13.75% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 90.38% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Northern Westchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.35 miles away400 East Main Street Mount Kisco New York 10549Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 666-1200
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.65 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Greenwich Hospital Association -Acute Care Hospitals 14.49 miles away5 Perryridge Rd Greenwich Connecticut 06830Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 863-3000
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.52 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- Good Samaritan Hospital of SuffernAcute Care Hospitals 15.75 miles away255 Lafayette Avenue Suffern New York 10901Voluntary non-profit - Church(845) 368-5000
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC6.51 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst6.72 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center7.61 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Yorktown Akc8.52 miles away2649 Strang Boulevard Dialysis Clinics, Inc Yorktown Heights New York 10598CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (914) 962-4005
- Westchester Artificial Kidney Center8.59 miles away234 Tarrytown Road Dialysis Unit Elmsford New York 10523CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 592-5858
- Davita Peekskill Cortlandt Dialysis Center9.06 miles away2050 East Main Street Suite 15 Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Dialysis Stations: 19 (914) 788-9326
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis9.8 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Davita White Plains Dialysis Center10.33 miles away200 Hamilton Avenue Suite 13b White Plains New York 10601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (914) 328-4900