Bethel Nursing Home Company is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Ossining, New York. Sporting an overall grade of B, this is a fine option. You could definitely do much worse than this nursing home. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Bethel Nursing Home Company
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Our inspection grades weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area usually have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a favorable short-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our higher grades in that area with a grade of B+. Our short-term care ratings are presumably more important for residents needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethel Nursing Home Company?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. This wasn't quite on par with some of its other category grades mentioned above. Our nursing category weighs several subcategories, most of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This place averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, which is a very low figure. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. Although this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this statistic. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning a patient more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed is long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a C in this area. In computing our long-term care grades, we scrutinize the assistance with daily living received by the facility's residents. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinates 98.91305 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethel Nursing Home Company Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 13.2% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients showing symptoms of depression. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 91.26% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethel Nursing Home Company, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Northern Westchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.35 miles away400 East Main Street Mount Kisco New York 10549Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 666-1200
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.65 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Greenwich Hospital Association -Acute Care Hospitals 14.49 miles away5 Perryridge Rd Greenwich Connecticut 06830Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 863-3000
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.52 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- Good Samaritan Hospital of SuffernAcute Care Hospitals 15.75 miles away255 Lafayette Avenue Suffern New York 10901Voluntary non-profit - Church(845) 368-5000
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC6.51 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst6.72 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center7.61 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Yorktown Akc8.52 miles away2649 Strang Boulevard Dialysis Clinics, Inc Yorktown Heights New York 10598CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (914) 962-4005
- Westchester Artificial Kidney Center8.59 miles away234 Tarrytown Road Dialysis Unit Elmsford New York 10523CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 592-5858
- Davita Peekskill Cortlandt Dialysis Center9.06 miles away2050 East Main Street Suite 15 Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Dialysis Stations: 19 (914) 788-9326
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis9.8 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Davita White Plains Dialysis Center10.33 miles away200 Hamilton Avenue Suite 13b White Plains New York 10601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (914) 328-4900