Bethany Village Retirement Center is in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. This facility was given an A- overall, which is among the top scores we offer. A score in this range requires first-rate marks across the board. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top quarter of all facilities nationally. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Bethany Village Retirement Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall score, this facility also received an A+ inspection score. This grade is based on its recent government inspections. An A+ in this category is one of the best complements we can offer a facility. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category typically have few severe deficiencies. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was strong in the area of short-term care, where it received a grade of A. Few facilities fared better in this area. Our short-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethany Village Retirement Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the next area, this facility also received a score of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a proven method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly population. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The next category we graded was this facility's worst category. However, even in its weakest link we still gave it a respectable grade of B- for our nursing category. Our nursing score consists of several data points, but the paramount consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This place averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which is a very low figure. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethany Village Retirement Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients which have suffered a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 3.23% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 88.5% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethany Village Retirement Center, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Mechanicsburg, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania has 3 other nursing homes
- Holy Spirit HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away503 North 21st Street Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 763-2100
- Pinnacle Health HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 6.04 miles away409 South Second Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17105Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 782-5181
- Pennsylvania Psychiatric InstitutePsychiatric 6.55 miles away2501 North Third Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Proprietary(717) 782-4742
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.39 miles awayFourth and Walnut Streets Lebanon Pennsylvania 17042Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 270-7500
- Carlisle Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.25 miles away361 Alexander Spring Road Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Proprietary(717) 249-1212
- u.s. Renal Care Mechanicsburg1.4 miles away120 South Filbert Street Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17055Dialysis Stations: 15 (717) 790-6080
- u.s. Renal Care - Camp Hill2.75 miles away158 South 32nd Street, Suite 19 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 731-0506
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Camp Hill3.44 miles away240 Grandview Avenue, Suite 200 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 18 (717) 737-7800
- Liberty Dialysis LLC - Camp Hill4.04 miles away500 N. 12th Street, Suite 300 Lemoyne Pennsylvania 17043CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (717) 230-1630
- Davita West Shore4.04 miles away550 North 12th St., Suite 110 Lemoyne Pennsylvania 17043Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 737-3272
- Dialysis Care Center - Mechanicsburg LLC4.1 miles away4 Flowers Drive, Suite 1 Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17050Dialysis Stations: 11 (717) 795-4665
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.5.68 miles away390 E. Penn Drive Enola Pennsylvania 17025Dialysis Stations: 2 (717) 732-3274
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cityline6.67 miles away2601 North 3rd Street, Suite 101 Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Dialysis Stations: 17 (717) 909-9450