Bethany Mhs Health Care Center is a senior living facility in Lafayette, Louisiana, which has 151,705 people. This facility received an overall grade of D, which is a well below average score. This isn't the worse place we looked at, however, we would still struggle to recommend it. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Bethany Mhs Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were fairly low on this facility overall, we awarded it an A for our inspections rating. This score is far more impressive than the nursing home's overall score. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next most respectable category was long-term care, but even there it earned just a D in that category. This ended up being a relatively poor grade. Facilities that do not fare well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 92.72727 percent of its patients. This is somewhat less than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable figure. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethany Mhs Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second worse category is short-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that category. This is a well below average score. In computing our short-term care scores, we analyze a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is considered to be a meaningful assessment of a facility's rehabilitation services. With a grade this poor for this category, we weren't stunned to learn that this facility was well below average in several staffing figures we focus on. The facility offered significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
The next area we looked at is nursing, in which this nursing home received a poor grade in this category as well. We gave it an F in this category, which is definitely somewhat alarming. Nursing grades are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this facility's nurse staffing levels were far below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethany Mhs Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents which had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 1.54% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating signs of depression. Some experts believe that this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 89.03% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 12.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 63.81% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Lafayette, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Lafayette, Louisiana has 7 other nursing homes
- Lafayette General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.96 miles away1214 Coolidge Avenue Lafayette Louisiana 70503Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 289-7991
- University Hospital & ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 1.04 miles away2390 West Congress Lafayette Louisiana 70506Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 261-6000
- Heart Hospital of LafayetteAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away1105 Kaliste Saloom Road Lafayette Louisiana 70508Proprietary(337) 521-1000
- Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away4801 Ambassador Caffery Parkway Lafayette Louisiana 70508Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 470-2100
- St Martin HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 9.6 miles away210 Champagne Boulevard Breaux Bridge Louisiana 70517Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 332-2178
- Acadia St LandryCritical Access Hospitals 16.52 miles away810 South Broadway Street Church Point Louisiana 70525Government - Hospital District or Authority(337) 684-5435
- Abbeville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away118 N Hospital Dr Abbeville Louisiana 70510Government - Hospital District or Authority(337) 893-5466
- Dci - Kidney Care of Acadiana-Lafayette0.43 miles away224 St Landry Ste 3c Lafayette Louisiana 70506Dialysis Stations: 10 (337) 231-5511
- Fmcna - East Lafayette2.04 miles away1340 Surrey Lafayette Louisiana 70501Dialysis Stations: 15 (337) 264-1265
- Fmcna - North Lafayette2.45 miles away910 Martin Luther King Dr Lafayette Louisiana 70501Dialysis Stations: 18 (337) 234-0084
- Dci - Kidney Treatment Options Ctr, LLC (Ktoc)2.48 miles away301 Alcide Dominique Road Lafayette Louisiana 70506Dialysis Stations: 26 (337) 456-7400
- Fmcna - West Lafayette3.17 miles away2804 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Lafayette Louisiana 70506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (337) 984-7299
- Davita - Youngsville Dialysis4.55 miles away314 Youngsville Hwy, Ste 125 Lafayette Louisiana 70508Dialysis Stations: 15 (337) 837-5044
- Fmcna - Breaux Bridge8.84 miles away100 Champagne Blvd Bldg A Breaux Bridge Louisiana 70517Dialysis Stations: 12 (337) 332-6817
- Fmcna - Sunset13.75 miles away115 Acorn St Sunset Louisiana 70584Dialysis Stations: 16 (337) 662-3702