Bethany Mhs Health Care Center is a senior living facility in Lafayette, Louisiana, which has 151,705 people. This nursing home was given an F, which is definitely concerning in our grading scheme. This nursing home is just about as bad as it gets. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Bethany Mhs Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this place a terrible overall score, we awarded it a B for our inspections rating. This is due to the nursing home receiving a decent government inspection report this year. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also stunned to find that this facility earned a decent long-term care score in our assessment. We gave it a C in that area. Long-term care grades are used to gauge a facility's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility vaccinated 98.73418 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable statistic. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethany Mhs Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we graded is short-term care. This nursing home's received a bottom of the barrel short-term care score where it received a lowly F. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be most important for people requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires more highly-skilled nursing. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. With its grade in this category, we were not stunned to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the data we looked at. Honestly, this was what we expected here. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
The final category we looked at is nursing. We gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is a poor score. Nursing grades are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethany Mhs Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 3.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who have had falls leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 2.79% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 16.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 1.48% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 89.54% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 17.84% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 15.38% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 2.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 15.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 12.77 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethany Mhs Health Care Center, 64.63% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Lafayette, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Lafayette, Louisiana has 7 other nursing homes
- Lafayette General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.96 miles away1214 Coolidge Avenue Lafayette Louisiana 70503Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 289-7991
- University Hospital & ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 1.04 miles away2390 West Congress Lafayette Louisiana 70506Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 261-6000
- Heart Hospital of LafayetteAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away1105 Kaliste Saloom Road Lafayette Louisiana 70508Proprietary(337) 521-1000
- Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away4801 Ambassador Caffery Parkway Lafayette Louisiana 70508Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 470-2100
- St Martin HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 9.6 miles away210 Champagne Boulevard Breaux Bridge Louisiana 70517Voluntary non-profit - Private(337) 332-2178
- Acadia St LandryCritical Access Hospitals 16.52 miles away810 South Broadway Street Church Point Louisiana 70525Government - Hospital District or Authority(337) 684-5435
- Abbeville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away118 N Hospital Dr Abbeville Louisiana 70510Government - Hospital District or Authority(337) 893-5466
- Dci - Kidney Care of Acadiana-Lafayette0.43 miles away224 St Landry Ste 3c Lafayette Louisiana 70506Dialysis Stations: 10 (337) 231-5511
- Fmcna - East Lafayette2.04 miles away1340 Surrey Lafayette Louisiana 70501Dialysis Stations: 15 (337) 264-1265
- Fmcna - North Lafayette2.45 miles away910 Martin Luther King Dr Lafayette Louisiana 70501Dialysis Stations: 18 (337) 234-0084
- Dci - Kidney Treatment Options Ctr, LLC (Ktoc)2.48 miles away301 Alcide Dominique Road Lafayette Louisiana 70506Dialysis Stations: 26 (337) 456-7400
- Fmcna - West Lafayette3.17 miles away2804 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Lafayette Louisiana 70506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (337) 984-7299
- Davita - Youngsville Dialysis4.55 miles away314 Youngsville Hwy, Ste 125 Lafayette Louisiana 70508Dialysis Stations: 15 (337) 837-5044
- Fmcna - Breaux Bridge8.84 miles away100 Champagne Blvd Bldg A Breaux Bridge Louisiana 70517Dialysis Stations: 12 (337) 332-6817
- Fmcna - Sunset13.75 miles away115 Acorn St Sunset Louisiana 70584Dialysis Stations: 16 (337) 662-3702