Bethany Lutheran Home is a senior living facility located in Council Bluffs, Iowa. The city has a total of 71,782 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B, which is a quality rating. You can certainly do much worse than this place. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its short-term care score, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bethany Lutheran Home
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Council Bluffs senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Council Bluffs, Iowa Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a strong overall score, this facility performed well in short-term care. We awarded it an A- for that category, which is one of our best grades. Our short-term care scores are based on the facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. We weren't able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Among this facility's other strengths is its elite nursing grade. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A-. Our nursing score is largely tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning patients at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethany Lutheran Home?
Furthermore, this facility also earned impressive government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a B. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at was long-term care, turned out to be this facility's weakest category. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in this category. This really was one of just a couple of dings in a strong profile. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the facility is not as well-staffed. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 92.68293 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethany Lutheran Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 6.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 3.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. More supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 17.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 19.26% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents which are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 4.67% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 93.67% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 17.07% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Some experts would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 16.9% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 1.48 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 16.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 12.73 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 77.73% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Chi Health Mercy Council BluffsAcute Care Hospitals 0.75 miles away800 Mercy Drive Council Bluffs Iowa 51503Voluntary non-profit - Private(712) 328-5000
- Methodist Jennie EdmundsonAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away933 East Pierce Street Council Bluffs Iowa 51503Voluntary non-profit - Private(712) 396-6000
- Chi Health ImmanuelAcute Care Hospitals 9.8 miles away6901 North 72nd St Omaha Nebraska 68122Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 572-2121
- Chi Health Creighton University Medical Center - BAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away7500 Mercy Rd Omaha Nebraska 68124Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 398-6060
- Children's Hospital & Medical CenterChildrens 10.35 miles away8200 Dodge St Omaha Nebraska 68114Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 955-5400
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.4 miles away8303 Dodge St Omaha Nebraska 68114Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 354-4000
- Bellevue Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.25 miles away2500 Bellevue Medical Center Dr Bellevue Nebraska 68123Proprietary(402) 763-3600
- Chi Health MidlandsAcute Care Hospitals 14.33 miles away11111 South 84th St Papillion Nebraska 68046Voluntary non-profit - Church(402) 593-3000
- Council Bluffs Dialysis Center1.31 miles away300 W Broadway Suite 150 Council Bluffs Iowa 51503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (712) 388-0261
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Omaha6.43 miles away3316 Dodge St. Omaha Nebraska 68131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (402) 342-0190
- Omaha Florence Dialysis6.79 miles away7454 N 30th St Omaha Nebraska 68112Dialysis Stations: 12 (402) 451-0723
- Omaha Central Dialysis6.91 miles away144 S 40th Street Omaha Nebraska 68131Dialysis Stations: 17 (402) 558-0818
- Rai Care Center7.53 miles away4411 Center Ste A Omaha Nebraska 68105CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (402) 558-3284
- Omaha South Dialysis7.78 miles away3339 L Street Omaha Nebraska 68107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (402) 734-0772
- Rai Care Center - Ames Ave7.84 miles away5084 Ames Ave Omaha Nebraska 68104Dialysis Stations: 17 (402) 451-7754
- Cornhusker Dialysis9.61 miles away505 Cornhusker Rd #107 Bellevue Nebraska 68005Dialysis Stations: 12 (402) 292-2813