Bethany Lutheran Home is a senior living facility located in Council Bluffs, Iowa. The city has a total of 71,782 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B+, which is a strong rating. You can certainly do much worse than this place. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Bethany Lutheran Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a strong facility is that it received a very impressive inspection rating. Inspections is its best category. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Our inspection ratings account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we gave this facility an B+. Our nursing rating is mostly based on a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethany Lutheran Home?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a favorable long-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our better grades in that area with a grade of B+. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 96.323524 percent of its patients, which is higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed turned out to be this facility's worst category. However, even in its worst category we still gave it a respectable grade of B- in short-term care. In our short-term care category, we strive to create a sound gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. It does not appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethany Lutheran Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 6.13% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 3.72% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 2.97% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients who had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 16.77% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 18.76% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 4.77% of Patients
This is the percent of patients demonstrating signs of depression. High rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 94.58% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 16.85% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 20.59% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 20.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 11.44 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethany Lutheran Home, 79.44% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Council Bluffs, IA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Council Bluffs, Iowa has 4 other nursing homes
- Chi Health Mercy Council BluffsAcute Care Hospitals 0.75 miles away800 Mercy Drive Council Bluffs Iowa 51503Voluntary non-profit - Private(712) 328-5000
- Methodist Jennie EdmundsonAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away933 East Pierce Street Council Bluffs Iowa 51503Voluntary non-profit - Private(712) 396-6000
- Chi Health ImmanuelAcute Care Hospitals 9.8 miles away6901 North 72nd St Omaha Nebraska 68122Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 572-2121
- Chi Health Creighton University Medical Center - BAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away7500 Mercy Rd Omaha Nebraska 68124Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 398-6060
- Children's Hospital & Medical CenterChildrens 10.35 miles away8200 Dodge St Omaha Nebraska 68114Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 955-5400
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.4 miles away8303 Dodge St Omaha Nebraska 68114Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 354-4000
- Bellevue Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.25 miles away2500 Bellevue Medical Center Dr Bellevue Nebraska 68123Proprietary(402) 763-3600
- Chi Health MidlandsAcute Care Hospitals 14.33 miles away11111 South 84th St Papillion Nebraska 68046Voluntary non-profit - Church(402) 593-3000
- Council Bluffs Dialysis Center1.31 miles away300 W Broadway Suite 150 Council Bluffs Iowa 51503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (712) 388-0261
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Omaha6.43 miles away3316 Dodge St. Omaha Nebraska 68131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (402) 342-0190
- Omaha Florence Dialysis6.79 miles away7454 N 30th St Omaha Nebraska 68112Dialysis Stations: 12 (402) 451-0723
- Omaha Central Dialysis6.91 miles away144 S 40th Street Omaha Nebraska 68131Dialysis Stations: 17 (402) 558-0818
- Rai Care Center7.53 miles away4411 Center Ste A Omaha Nebraska 68105CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (402) 558-3284
- Omaha South Dialysis7.78 miles away3339 L Street Omaha Nebraska 68107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (402) 734-0772
- Rai Care Center - Ames Ave7.84 miles away5084 Ames Ave Omaha Nebraska 68104Dialysis Stations: 17 (402) 451-7754
- Cornhusker Dialysis9.61 miles away505 Cornhusker Rd #107 Bellevue Nebraska 68005Dialysis Stations: 12 (402) 292-2813