Bethany Home of Rhode Island is located in Providence, Rhode Island. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated facilities we found. Being awarded an A+ in our rating scheme requires excellent marks across the board. You flat out can't do any better than this place. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category scores, which are equally impressive. You really can't do any better than a straight A report card.
Bethany Home of Rhode Island
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Providence, Rhode Island Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Providence, Rhode Island Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Providence, Rhode Island Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Nursing ratings are largely based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a patient more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Bethany Home of Rhode Island?
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth area, this nursing home received an excellent short-term care rating. We awarded it a grade of A in that category, rounding out a straight A profile. Our short-term care grades are critical for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires more highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bethany Home of Rhode Island Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 7.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who had falls which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents who have sustained UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 17.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents who were administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 15.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 2.58% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 94.38% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 16.46% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 20.63% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 20.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 12.45 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bethany Home of Rhode Island, 77.52% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Providence, Rhode Island has 10 other nursing homes
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.72 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.72 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.63 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 2.69 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.75 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.05 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital1.13 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital1.68 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Nna of Providence1.75 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of East Providence1.81 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Providence2.46 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna - Pawtucket3.07 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket3.64 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313
- Davita North Providence Renal Center4.2 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340