Beth Israel at Shalom Park is a large non-profit nursing home located in Aurora, Colorado. With an overall grade of A, we rated this nursing home to be one of the top five facilities in the city. An overall grade in this range is a great indicator of top-notch nursing home. Based on our assessment, you can not go wrong with this place. One of the major highlights of this facility's stellar profile is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Beth Israel at Shalom Park
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Aurora senior living options.Get Pricing
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall grade, this nursing home performed well in inspections, which is based on the facility's inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it an A for this area. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
On the list of its many dominant grades, this facility was given a top-shelf long-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in this area. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care ratings. One of the criteria we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 72.368416 percent of its patients. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Beth Israel at Shalom Park?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. When computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we consider the number of hours nurses spend with patients and the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is short-term care, where this facility was awarded a grade of B+. This finished off a first-rate profile. Very few facilities earned a B+ or better in in each area we assessed. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beth Israel at Shalom Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 5.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 3.72% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 2.04% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 17.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 12.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 3.91% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 84.62% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 15.34% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 16.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 16.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beth Israel at Shalom Park, 76.2% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Aurora, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Colorado has 6 other nursing homes
- Medical Center of Aurora, TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away1501 S Potomac St Aurora Colorado 80012Proprietary(303) 873-5511
- Parker Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away9395 Crown Crest Blvd Parker Colorado 80138Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 269-4000
- Sky Ridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away10101 Ridgegate Parkway Lone Tree Colorado 80124Voluntary non-profit - Other(720) 225-1000
- Children's Hospital ColoradoChildrens 8.26 miles away13123 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 777-1234
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 8.29 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Centura Health-Porter Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.98 miles away2525 S Downing St Denver Colorado 80210Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 778-1955
- Swedish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away501 E Hampden Ave Englewood Colorado 80113Proprietary(303) 788-5000
- Centura Health-Littleton Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.68 miles away7700 S Broadway Littleton Colorado 80122Voluntary non-profit - Church(303) 730-8900
- Lonetree Dialysis (Dva)3.45 miles away9777 Pyramid Ct Ste 140 Englewood Colorado 80112Dialysis Stations: 12 (303) 662-0466
- South Denver Dialysis (Fmc)3.56 miles away3410 S Galena St Suite 100 Denver Colorado 80231Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 671-2419
- Aurora Dialysis (Dva)4.79 miles away1411 S Potomac St Ste 100 Aurora Colorado 80012CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 368-1911
- East Aurora Dialysis (Dva)5.87 miles away482 S Chambers Rd Aurora Colorado 80017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (303) 696-1137
- Parker Dialysis (Dva)6.88 miles away10371 S Park Glenn Way Ste 180 Parker Colorado 80138Dialysis Stations: 12 (303) 840-0541
- Parker Kidney Center (Ara)7.06 miles away18320 E Cottonwood Dr Ste C Parker Colorado 80138Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 805-2060
- Sable Dialysis (Dva)7.09 miles away509 N Sable Blvd Aurora Colorado 80011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 366-9458
- Northeast Denver Dialysis (Fkc)7.29 miles away590 Laredo St Aurora Colorado 80017Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 344-8704