Bernard Care Center is a nursing home in Saint Louis, Missouri which has 927,396 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some respectable marks. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Saint Louis, which admittedly is admittedly a little below average nationally. This facility did not meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it didn't receive any rock-bottom grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Bernard Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this category. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our more favorable scores. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 62.02532 percent of its patients. This is a bit less than we anticipated but still a decent percentage. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Bernard Care Center?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a score of D. When calculating our nursing grades, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of those nurses. This place offered only 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these datapoints to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D for the area of short-term care. This was the facility's least impressive category score. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bernard Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bernard Care Center, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that developed pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bernard Care Center, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bernard Care Center, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who had urinary tract infections. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bernard Care Center, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bernard Care Center, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bernard Care Center, 4.11% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bernard Care Center, 88.89% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bernard Care Center, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bernard Care Center, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Bernard Care Center, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bernard Care Center, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bernard Care Center, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 3.15 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.19 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.1 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.33 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 11.29 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Forest Park Kidney Center0.24 miles away4205 Forest Park Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63108CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 286-0800
- Chromalloy American Kidney Center0.68 miles away4950 Childrens Place Wohl Clinic Bldg Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 362-7209
- Saint Louis Childrens Hospital Dialysis0.7 miles awayOne Childrens Place 2n90 Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 5 (314) 454-6065
- Fmc - Chouteau0.85 miles away4030 Chouteau Ave, 1st Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 535-2915
- Fmc - Saint Louis Grand1.24 miles away3691 Rutger St. #222 Drummond Hall Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (314) 762-0089
- Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital Dialysis1.42 miles away1465 S Grand Blvd Renal Dialysis Unit 3rd Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63104Dialysis Stations: 4 (314) 268-6423
- St Louis Dialysis1.87 miles away324 Debaliviere Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63112CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 367-9111
- St. Louis Dialysis Center2.02 miles away2610 Clark Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (314) 534-0909