Located in West Babylon, New York, Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is one of just a few facilities in this area. With an overall rating of C, this is a solid facility. You could definitely do worse than this place. The best part of this facility's report card is its stellar inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
10 Berkshire Road,
West Babylon NY 11704
92.97% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Arguably the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's higher category grades was in the category of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a B+. For prospective residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 88.93617 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be a bit lower than we anticipated but still a decent figure. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
This nursing home also earned a strong nursing rating. We awarded it a F in this area. Our nursing score is mostly based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest category was short-term care, which is the last category we analyzed. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F in this area. In spite of a few decent scores in other areas, this grade is nevertheless alarming so we wanted to make a note of it. In the area of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Given its score in this area, we were not surprised to discover that this facility was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the data we looked at. Honestly, this was what we expected here. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics was damning for this facility's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents which developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that have suffered a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.26% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements.
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.07 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.51 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.94 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.59 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Mills Pond Dialysis Center, LLC1.08 miles away134 Great East Neck Road West Babylon New York 11704Dialysis Stations: 11 (631) 539-5600
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.2.57 miles away185 S 10th Street Lindenhurst New York 11757Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 956-6060
- Long Island Bay Shore Dialysis Center3.5 miles away929 Sunrise Highway Chronic Dialysis Ctr. Bay Shore New York 11706CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (631) 224-8500
- Davita Long Island Renal Care3.66 miles away3460 Great Neck Road Amityville New York 11701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 532-6969
- Nyu Langone Hospitals8.06 miles away530 Hicksville Road The Dialysis Center @ Bethpage Bethpage New York 11714CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (516) 663-4980
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.8.24 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.8.76 miles away760 South Broadway Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 827-1370
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack8.98 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740