Located in West Babylon, New York, Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is one of just a few facilities in this area. With an overall rating of B, this is a good facility. You could definitely do much worse than this place. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on West Babylon senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a strong overall grade as described above, but we especially wanted to point out its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We gave them an A+ in this category. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility performed well in our long-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which turns out to be one of our most dominant grades. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable category was short-term care. We gave it a C in this category. This is essentially a middle of the road score in this area. Short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the number of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 4.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The last category we rated was nursing. We awarded this facility a grade of C in that category. The nursing rating analyzes several components, most of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This place provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 8.66% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 0.81% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 0.64% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.77% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 14.93% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 14.91% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 99.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.6% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.77% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.77% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 10.93% of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Berkshire Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 90.06% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.07 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.51 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.94 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.59 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Mills Pond Dialysis Center, LLC1.08 miles away134 Great East Neck Road West Babylon New York 11704Dialysis Stations: 11 (631) 539-5600
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.2.57 miles away185 S 10th Street Lindenhurst New York 11757Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 956-6060
- Long Island Bay Shore Dialysis Center3.5 miles away929 Sunrise Highway Chronic Dialysis Ctr. Bay Shore New York 11706CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (631) 224-8500
- Davita Long Island Renal Care3.66 miles away3460 Great Neck Road Amityville New York 11701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 532-6969
- Nyu Langone Hospitals8.06 miles away530 Hicksville Road The Dialysis Center @ Bethpage Bethpage New York 11714CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (516) 663-4980
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.8.24 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.8.76 miles away760 South Broadway Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 827-1370
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack8.98 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740