Complete Care at Berkshire is in Reading, Pennsylvania, a city with a total of 213,013 people. This is a very good nursing home. We gave this it an overall grade of B+, which is very favorable grade. In our view, this place is a good fit for most people. Scroll down to see this nursing home's category scores, which are also quite good. It's hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Complete Care at Berkshire
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a strong overall grade, we awarded this facility a grade of A+ for our inspection category. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area usually have few of these severe deficiencies. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was given favorable long-term care grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that category, with a score of B+. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 97.26776 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly is often a dangerous condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Complete Care at Berkshire?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. The nursing grade assesses several components, most of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we graded is short-term care, in which this facility received a B. This facility didn't turn out to have any identifiable weaknesses. Short-term care grades are generally employed to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Complete Care at Berkshire Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 3.23% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 88.5% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Reading, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Reading, Pennsylvania has 9 other nursing homes
- Reading HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away420 S 5th Avenue Reading Pennsylvania 19611Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 988-8000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.84 miles away2500 Bernville Road Reading Pennsylvania 19605Voluntary non-profit - Church(610) 378-2000
- Pottstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.61 miles away1600 East High Street Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 327-7000
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.47 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Wellspan Ephrata Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.56 miles away169 Martin Avenue Ephrata Pennsylvania 17522Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 733-0311
- Pennsylvania Dialysis Clinic of Reading7.09 miles away625 Spring Street Reading Pennsylvania 19610CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (610) 375-1215
- Reading Dialysis Center7.54 miles away965 Berkshire Boulevard Reading Pennsylvania 19610CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (610) 370-5323
- Fresenius Kidney Care Reading, LLC9 miles away1001 Reed Avenue Building E, Suite 410 Reading Pennsylvania 19610Dialysis Stations: 11 (610) 378-7963
- u.s. Renal Care - Pottstown10.69 miles away5 South Sunnybrook Road, Suite 500 Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (610) 718-1127
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Pottstown13.27 miles away2223 East High St. Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (610) 705-1895
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Kutztown15.79 miles away45 Constitution Boulevard Kutztown Pennsylvania 19530Dialysis Stations: 11 (610) 683-9766
- Davita - Ephrata15.84 miles away67 West Church Street Stevens Pennsylvania 17578CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 335-7399
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Limerick17.21 miles away420 West Linfield Trappe Road Building B, Suite 100 Royersford Pennsylvania 19468CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (610) 495-0010