Complete Care at Berkshire is in Reading, Pennsylvania, a city with a total of 213,013 people. This facility is a relatively poor nursing home. A grade in this range suggests we found a few red flags. In our view, we would struggle to recommend this nursing home. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Complete Care at Berkshire
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Complete Care at Berkshire has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Reading senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many positive things to say about this place's overall score, it did receive a respectable government inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in this area with a B-. Our inspection ratings are tied to datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This place was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Does this page answer your questions about Complete Care at Berkshire?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a middle of the road grade in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a B-. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 98.6911 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the final category, this facility received a grade of C for short-term care, which is generally a respectable score. In forming these short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to formulate a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. The question is whether this also affected quality of care. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Complete Care at Berkshire Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care residents that sustained falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who have experienced a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 3.3% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 86.27% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 9.68 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Complete Care at Berkshire, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Reading, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Reading, Pennsylvania has 4 other nursing homes
- Reading HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away420 S 5th Avenue Reading Pennsylvania 19611Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 988-8000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.84 miles away2500 Bernville Road Reading Pennsylvania 19605Voluntary non-profit - Church(610) 378-2000
- Pottstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.61 miles away1600 East High Street Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 327-7000
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.47 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Wellspan Ephrata Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.56 miles away169 Martin Avenue Ephrata Pennsylvania 17522Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 733-0311
- Pennsylvania Dialysis Clinic of Reading7.09 miles away625 Spring Street Reading Pennsylvania 19610CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (610) 375-1215
- Reading Dialysis Center7.54 miles away965 Berkshire Boulevard Reading Pennsylvania 19610CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (610) 370-5323
- Fresenius Kidney Care Reading, LLC9 miles away1001 Reed Avenue Building E, Suite 410 Reading Pennsylvania 19610Dialysis Stations: 11 (610) 378-7963
- u.s. Renal Care - Pottstown10.69 miles away5 South Sunnybrook Road, Suite 500 Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (610) 718-1127
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Pottstown13.27 miles away2223 East High St. Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (610) 705-1895
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Kutztown15.79 miles away45 Constitution Boulevard Kutztown Pennsylvania 19530Dialysis Stations: 11 (610) 683-9766
- Davita - Ephrata15.84 miles away67 West Church Street Stevens Pennsylvania 17578CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 335-7399
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Limerick17.21 miles away420 West Linfield Trappe Road Building B, Suite 100 Royersford Pennsylvania 19468CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (610) 495-0010