Berkley West Healthcare Center is a facility located in Santa Monica, California. The city has 92,043 people. This nursing home received an overall grade of B-, which is a respectable rating. Even in a city offering 12 nursing homes, this nursing home should be a sound choice. The best part of this place's profile is is its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Berkley West Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this facility received a decent overall grade is its excellent health inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better grades in that area, with a grade of A-. This is a much better score than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but certainly not elite. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite minor. While this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor dings aren't necessarily the end of the world.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. When calculating our nursing scores, we assess both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a somewhat discouraging figure which is well below the national average. Finally, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Berkley West Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a respectable grade in the area of short-term care, where it received a C. In crafting these short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 6 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is long-term care. We gave it a C in that area. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this area. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very solid percentage. This facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Berkley West Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Berkley West Healthcare Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Berkley West Healthcare Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Berkley West Healthcare Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Berkley West Healthcare Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who are given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Berkley West Healthcare Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Berkley West Healthcare Center, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Berkley West Healthcare Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Berkley West Healthcare Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Berkley West Healthcare Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Santa Monica, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Santa Monica, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Santa Monica - Ucla Med Ctr & Orthopaedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.1 miles away1250 16th Street Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 319-4000
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.4 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 3.38 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Davita-Santa Monica Dialysis0.15 miles away1260 15th Street, Suite 102 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 393-4744
- Davita-Mar Vista1.22 miles away2020 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100 & 120 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 453-4900
- Davita-Century City Dialysis Center3.38 miles away10630 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles California 90025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 954-2700
- Fmc-Culver City Dialysis3.97 miles away9432 Venice Blvd. Culver City California 90230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 836-2237
- Davita-Beverlywood Dialysis4.7 miles away2080 Century Park East, Suite 210 Los Angeles California 90067Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 772-0224
- u.s. Renal Care Culver City5.04 miles away9808 Venice Blvd., Suite 200 Culver City California 90232Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 841-0500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- West Los Angeles5.09 miles awayDialysis Unit 6041 Cadillac Avenue, Suite 442 Los Angeles California 90034Dialysis Stations: 4 (323) 857-3245
- u.s. Renal Care West Los Angeles Dialysis6.25 miles away1801 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles California 90035CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 840-5688