Berkley Manor Care Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Denver, Colorado which has a population of 958,706 people. This is a quality nursing home with a B overall. This was right in line with the city grade in Denver. Even in a city featuring 43 nursing homes, this facility ought to be a fine choice. The best part of this nursing home's impressive report card is its short-term care grade. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Berkley Manor Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received a strong overall grade as described above, but we especially wanted to emphasize its excellent short-term care grade. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Our short-term care ratings are arguably most critical for individuals in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
In addition, this facility earned top notch inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better grades in that category, with an B+. Our inspection grades account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category typically have very few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Berkley Manor Care Center?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Our nursing grade is based on many components, many of which are associated with nursing hours. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest area was long-term care, which is the last area we scored. We gave it an F for this area. Even with some impressive scores in other categories, this score is still somewhat of a concern so we wanted to point it out. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 81.25 percent of its patients. This is several points below average. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Berkley Manor Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 6.01% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 2.13% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 17.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients which are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 3.73% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 85.7% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 20.53% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 1.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 20.53 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Berkley Manor Care Center, 75.24% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Denver, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Denver, Colorado has 42 other nursing homes
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Centura Health-Porter Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away2525 S Downing St Denver Colorado 80210Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 778-1955
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Saint Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away1375 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 812-2000
- Denver Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away777 Bannock St Denver Colorado 80204Government - State(303) 602-4930
- Medical Center of Aurora, TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away1501 S Potomac St Aurora Colorado 80012Proprietary(303) 873-5511
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Lowry Dialysis Center (Dva)1.34 miles away7465 E 1st Ave Ste A Denver Colorado 80230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 367-0946
- Belcaro Dialysis (Dva)1.43 miles away755 S Colorado Blvd Denver Colorado 80246Dialysis Stations: 14 (303) 777-2844
- Rocky Mountain Dialysis (Fmc)2.34 miles away4600 Hale Pkwy Ste 120 Denver Colorado 80220CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 320-6894
- South Denver Dialysis (Dva)4.07 miles away850 E Harvard Ave Ste 60 Denver Colorado 80210Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 744-0559
- South Denver Dialysis (Fmc)4.1 miles away3410 S Galena St Suite 100 Denver Colorado 80231Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 671-2419
- Aurora Dialysis (Dva)4.42 miles away1411 S Potomac St Ste 100 Aurora Colorado 80012CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 368-1911
- Stapleton Dialysis (Fmc)4.5 miles away7606 E 36th Ave Denver Colorado 80238Dialysis Stations: 20 (303) 322-1513
- Pavilion Dialysis (Fmc)4.55 miles away723 Delaware St #m105 Denver Colorado 80204CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 623-2107